Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam crashing after updating - Crossover 13.1

I realise this has been a long standing problem, but it still occurs in the most recent version of Crossover (13.1) on Mac OSX.

Steam crashes after it finishes "checking for updates" , I have tried removing Steam and reinstalling it into the same bottle, but the problem still persists.

I am running Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1.

johnny wrote:

I realise this has been a long standing problem, but it still occurs
in the most recent version of Crossover (13.1) on Mac OSX.

Steam crashes after it finishes "checking for updates" , I have
tried removing Steam and reinstalling it into the same bottle, but
the problem still persists.

I am running Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1.

Actually, it's not really a long standing issue with CrossOver. What you describe was breakage that occurred when Steam rolled out an update that broke Wine variants across the board. It was fixed for CrossOver with version 13.0.1 (less than twenty four hours after the breakage). Maybe you could tell us a little more about your system?

Your account doesn't show an entitlement so I have no way to place what version of CrossOver you might be running and if perhaps you upgraded from an older version (which rarely causes problems but I would like to rule it out).

There are a few things that could be going on with your system.

Do you have a third party input manager on your Mac? (like Razor Synapse or 1Password)
Have you tried installing Steam into a fresh bottle?
Have you tried removing the Installers folder so that CrossOver would be forced to download the lastest installer of Steam?
Can you give us more details about your system? When did you move to Mavericks? Did you use a different version of CrossOver before?

Hi Caron,

second the issue here, although steam launches just fine if I disable the mac driver (just using the legacy x window). What's up with the razor synapse? can u provide a workaround?

Mac OSX 10.9.1. retina Macbook pro, i7@2,8 GHz, Iris Graphics, Crossover 13.1

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm currently running Crossover Mac v. 13.1 (13.1.0.27669). I'm running on a iMac 27 2.9Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GIG ram running OS X 10.9.1

I'm attempting to use the cross-tie to install Steam. Today, it appears to be successful, but then gets hung in a loop (download, install, update, repeat). I've let it go for 15 minutes just in case there are a lot of updates, but it appears to be a loop.

Anyway, I hope this info is helpful.

Christopher Richardson wrote:

I'm having the same problem as the OP.

Have you tried Caron's suggestions above? (Do you have Razer software installed, and do things start working if you disable the Mac Driver?)

I don't have any special input (Razor, 1Password, etc). I attempted to create a new steam bottle. Turning off Mac driver did not help. Specifically, here's what happens...

Created bottle
Installed Steam from crosstie
Steam downloads a rather large update and installs it successfully.
Then steam downloads another update around 41kb. It appears to install successfully as well.
On the third update, Steam get hung in a loop. It very quickly goes from download...to installing, then repeats until I cancel.
At this point I turn off the Mac driver (using Legacy X)
Steam picks up at the same point, stuck in a loop of downloading and installing.

I don't know what you mean by deleting the installs folder. Where should I look for that? Thanks for the info so far.

There is an installer cache in ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/installers. If you delete the entire 'installers' directory there, does it help?

Josh DuBois wrote:

There is an installer cache in ~/Library/Application
Support/CrossOver/installers. If you delete the entire 'installers'
directory there, does it help?

I deleted the installers dir, but the problem persists. I don't know if it helps, but when I finally do cancel it gives the error message:
Failed to load overlay localization file.

I'll try something else if you wish. Thanks.

Just to be sure - you deleted the installers dir mentioned above and then attempted a completely fresh install of Steam - into a new bottle - using CrossOver's installer, and the problem persisted then? (Or were you still trying to run Steam's installer from the bottle you had previously?)

Josh DuBois wrote:

Just to be sure - you deleted the installers dir mentioned above and
then attempted a completely fresh install of Steam - into a new
bottle - using CrossOver's installer, and the problem persisted
then? (Or were you still trying to run Steam's installer from the
bottle you had previously?)

Same steam bottle. I'll report back shortly after I try creating a new Steam bottle (and ensuring again installers is deleted). Thanks again.

OK, I made sure the installers directory was deleted. Deleted my old steam bottle and created a new one as requested. It installed an approx 79kb update and then gets stuck in the update loop again. For kicks, I went back and enable Legacy X (instead of Mac driver) and it does the same.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Christopher Richardson wrote:

OK, I made sure the installers directory was deleted. Deleted my
old steam bottle and created a new one as requested. It installed
an approx 79kb update and then gets stuck in the update loop again.
For kicks, I went back and enable Legacy X (instead of Mac driver)
and it does the same.

In that case I'm not sure what is happening. I'm going to forward you post to our ticket system, which should open a ticket for you.

OK, for anyone else browsing this forum...

I believe I discovered what was causing at the problem for me. I had changed my bottle dir to a disk with the NTFS partition (I've been using the software call NTFS for OS X). Remembering this, I changed my bottle dir back to a HPFS Journed disc and steam installed and started just fine. I apologize not thinking about this sooner. Best Regards, Chris.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU1BGOGZ1UHBFeldTbjhLcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9