Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam issues with ALSA sound library.

I just thought I'd note hear that newer versions of Steam crash on start with newer Linux versions of Wine when running the ALSA sound driver. This upstream bug affects the 13.1.x versions of Crossover.

A workaround is to manually set the audio driver to OSS, or to use Pulse Audio and the Pulse driver (Contrary to popular belief pulse-audio does not have to be installed systemwide. It's just that such setups are popular.) If someone wants to make a guide on how to do each of these, it would be helpful.

I may go and look it up later.
Using the OSS driver involves a Wine registry key to force-override auto-detection. However, I would need to look up what that key is.

ugh, bad post

Bad post or bad situation.

Specifically it's Wine ALSA driver not ALSA itself.

I currently don't know how to force change Crossover to use OSS compatability mode on Alsa systems, so a better option is to run Pulse. Ubuntu already runs this.

As a note, another bug prevents audio input from OSS drivers on Steam and Source-Engine games if it isn't fixed by now. However, sound output is fine and it doesn't crash. Because of the sound input bug, the OSS driver is blacklisted for Steam, but you can easily override this as well.

The better option is to run Pulse.

If you don't need sound from Steam itself you can disable mmdevapi for Steam.exe via a DLL override. This won't disable sound in the games.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOXYyZEdnRzJnYkdTV3pLVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9