Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Linux issues (cx 14.03) Feedback appreciated

Hey Guys,

I'm taking advantage of the forum to report some issues that irritate me when using steam on cx.

1) games videos can be only seen in windowed mode; fulscreen end up with the whole cx process hanging requires a manual "kill".
2) Steam overlay is generally very slow. Especially on scrolling up/down. Viewing any forum contents with it turns to be really frustrating.
3) Steam does not detect correctly my video card (However, relevant ticket is already raised and assigned). The card is seen as ATi 5600 while it is a HD7600. This prevent some games from running.

Do you guys struggle with any of the above?
It'd be nice to get any feedback on this prior to raising a support ticket so these can be reported as general issues.

Thanks

For number 1, we would have to know which games have this trouble. We know not all, but to work on them, we have to know the game.

For number 2, true.

For number 3, this is "kind of" known. Every gpu needs to be entered in the Wine gpu table to be properly identified. It looks to me like there is no AMD HD 7600 chip entered. We would need to know what games are affected or it's possible that you could submit the patch to get your card recognized.

Sometimes a general report is better (like for what's happening with Steam here: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=206;forum=1;msg=170311 )

For what you're describing, it's mostly specific behavior. Information centered around your system/games would be better.

Many thanks for posting!

Caron Wills wrote:

For number 1, we would have to know which games have this trouble.
We know not all, but to work on them, we have to know the game.!

Maybe I did not make it clear enough - I meant steam videos in the store section. Is it a known issue?

For number 2, true.

Is it being fixed or targeted for any future release?

For number 3, this is "kind of" known. Every gpu needs to be entered
in the Wine gpu table to be properly identified. It looks to me like
there is no AMD HD 7600 chip entered. We would need to know what
games are affected or it's possible that you could submit the patch
to get your card recognized.

The games not starting due to the GPU are the following:

Fallout 3
Insurgency

So you mean I would need to add the relevant line to be added to the table in wine and cx will include that in the future stable release. Am I right?

For what you're describing, it's mostly specific behavior.
Information centered around your system/games would be better.

My system is Kubuntu 14.04, 64-bit running with latest ati catalyst beta driver.

Many thanks for posting

you are very much welcome, looking forward to help

up

Hi,

I don't have every single bug regarding Steam and its games in my head, so some of my replies may be wrong.

Łukasz Janowski wrote:

Maybe I did not make it clear enough - I meant steam videos in the
store section. Is it a known issue?

I think the right version of the Flash player is needed for those movies to work. I believe the Crosstie should install Adobe Flash into the bottle though. Note that you need the Windows version of Flash, not the OSX / Linux one.

Łukasz Janowski wrote:

The games not starting due to the GPU are the following:

Fallout 3
Insurgency

So you mean I would need to add the relevant line to be added to the
table in wine and cx will include that in the future stable release.
Am I right?

We'll switch to a more sane default for the next CrossOver release that should prevent games from outright crashing if the GPU is misdetected. We let an unfortunate regression slip into CrossOver 14. We're falling back to early DirectX 9 GPUs if we can't detect the GPU and simulate 64 MB of video memory, which causes games to crash when they run out of (faked) video memory during startup.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieXNhNmFaZU1ISFpQVzhkNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9