Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam crashes after update

Hi,

does anyone know in which log file I could trace the reason for Steam crashing? I can see in the processes that Explorer.exe is starting together with some other services, but as soon as Steam.exe comes into the picture everything just shuts down without any message... It started happening after Steam update today. It just refuses to start.

This is due to a bug in Wine: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43315

The fix is straightforward, and I hope it makes its way into CrossOver soon!

So... any way to fix it? I'm kind of a noob, i see the guy on the wine forums posted a patch that allows steam to start but I have no idea how to use it?

This is something that Codeweavers would need to do.

So there's no way to apply wine patches to crossover??

Does anybody know, will this fix be just an update for crossover 16 or for previous versions as well?

Same problem. I don't understand how to fix it. What about you? Have you fixed it?

I'm a noob too. Have you understood how to fix it?

Royce de la Croix wrote:

So... any way to fix it? I'm kind of a noob, i see the guy on the
wine forums posted a patch that allows steam to start but I have no
idea how to use it?

I'm a noob too. Have you understood how to fix it?

hi ,

to patch it , you need wine source , the patch as a .patch or .diff and apply the patch by using command line in terminal.

you cant do it in crossover i think...

but maybe i hope crossover team will patch Crossover soon... as he said here :

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;msg=192454

steam dont run today too. they update steam today too and add some fixes, but steel dont run on mac osx with crossover.

[link=
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;msg=192454 team said they are working on a crossover patch][/link]

We just shipped 16.2.5 which contains fixes for the crash.

this update run very fine :)

everything is good :)

Jeremy Newman wrote:

We just shipped 16.2.5 which contains fixes for the crash.

Awesome! You guys rock!

Is there a way to make steam work on crossover 15.3.1? Because some apps that I use don't work in crossover 16.

Hi I updated my steam on crossover today and now it will not open. I'm using a MacBook and the app will come up at the bottom as if it is going to open then just disappear. Anyone know how to fix this? ?

hello , you can use both app the new crossover one and keep your old one in your application folder, no problem..

Balrogzzz wrote:

hello , you can use both app the new crossover one and keep your old
one in your application folder, no problem..

Did you answer my question or other person's? Can you explain in more detail because i didn't really understand what you said

NikusCraft wrote:

Balrogzzz wrote:

hello , you can use both app the new crossover one and
keep your old one in your application folder, no problem..

Did you answer my question or other person's? Can you explain in
more detail because i didn't really understand what you said

did you try the new crossover update (16.2.5)? its ok with steam.

if so, you can use older version , because in mac os, you can keep older version and newer of the same soft , by example :

crossover 15,2
crossover 16.2.5 etc... when you copy your app in the applications folder, osx will ask you if u wanna keep the older one or not, so you can have a lot of crossover version in applications folder ! :)

osx will called like : crossover , crossover 2 etc..

crossover will ask you to update bottle everytime you switch between different version, but it is a up and down system, so you dont have to be affraid about it

sorry english is not my native langage...

I have tried the newest version and steam works, yet some games that use steam don't work properly
I know the trick using older versions but here is the thing, I want steam to run in newest crossover and I want steam games to work in older version

Is this even possible?
Thank you in advance

Yeah, I need to purchase last version of Crossover (16) to get my Steam running. Actually not to obtain new features with the update but to keep the old ones.
And my Fallout New Vegas runs better on 15.1. With Crossover 16 it looses textures and crashes often.

So... No Fallout for me today ☹️

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately it seems not to solve all problems. Please see my bug report.
Has someone an idea?

Hi All,

Steam is not working for me either, under Crossover 17. The "Updating Steam, verifying installation" appears for one and half seconds and does nothing. This is under a new crossover install, installing steam from scratch (not imported from other versions...etc)

1 to 22 of 22

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZlRKdEZZSzZ6MlB1dUhTeSIsImdkcHIiOjB9