Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam won't install on Chromebook

When I use the .tie file from the Steam Crossover page, it gives me the error message "Empty crosstie. The crosstie you chose contains no applications, so there is nothing for us to do."

I tried downloading and installing the steam.exe file from Steam and that doesn't work either. I get the error "Sorry, Steam is not supported on Chrome OS."

What am I doing wrong? The steam page explicitly says it should work for chrome os.

Steam is not supported in CrossOver on Chrome OS. The portion of the Steam app page on our web-site which is relevant to this is the 'one star' rating for Steam on Chrome OS, which has the explanation underneath showing that 'one star' means 'will not install' (admittedly, maybe that should be zero stars, but then it's hard to distinguish from a situation where we simply haven't gotten any ratings).

Is there somewhere else you are seeing that says Steam should work in CrossOver on a Chromebook? If you see such a thing it likely means we have edits to make: Steam is definitely not supported on Chrome OS.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVDlOU0VxUVVFd2dkQ0poTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9