Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No steam games working

Just downloaded the trial version of Crossover, in the hopes I would be able to play windows games on Steam, without using BootCamp.

I have gotten Steam to work, but none of my games seem to work. They download OK, but none of them get anywhere at launch. Variety of errors on about six different games I tried, but the upshot is none of them work. (Have tried finding crossover ties, but they don't appear to exist for most of my games. I tend towards indie games and wargames).

Any other tricks or tips, before I give it the flick and go back to BootCamp? I'm not willing to spend hours and hours trying to figure out each game, and I'm not a programmer. If it's too hard, I'll just use BootCamp.

C

Hi

usually games complains about missing components the most commons are:visual c++ (install 2008 2010 and 2015 they are the most used), directx for modern games (for games requiring dx11 and for older games install directx for windows xp games) and then install net framework 4.5. Then you should be able to play. Beware some games that uses drm protection systems or anticheat systems may not work correctly. Set your bottle to windows 7 after installing all the aforementioned components and before launching any game.

Only Directx 9 games work on Mac.
Check first "What runs" section or does it has CrossTie.

Thanks for your suggestions. I installed DirectX, .Net 4.5 and C++ - and went backwards. Took me another hour just to get Steam to work again, sorta. But no luck with any of my games.

I'm putting in this in the "not worth my time" basket, 3 hours of effort for not much return right now. I'll check in in a few months and see how things are. I appreciate what codeweavers is trying to do here, but it seems to me it will always be playing catchup with unilateral changes by Microsoft, Valve and others... BootCamp reboots are annoying, but at least they are a known quantity for me and I can be reasonably sure a Steam game will run.

Appreciate the help anyway & good luck!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVWtLVFdBc3RNNXFxWFhrWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9