Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Graphical Glitches w/ Japanese text in games opened through Steam?

So, I'm running CrossOver 20.0.4 on a Mac, and I installed Steam to be able to play around with RPG Maker VX & VX Ace (which I bought w/ MV a while back during a massive sale). On a whim, I decided to unpack one of my favorite games that I had played back when my computer had Mojave and could support Wine: It's Our Revolution!

Wasn't planning on doing much with it — maybe try replacing some of the sprites for fun — but I noticed that all of what should've been Japanese text was instead just a bunch of boxes. It didn't hurt the game at all, b/c everything you could see was translated, but it was still a bit weird.

Then I tried unpacking another game, — this one entirely in Japanese — to try and get some machine translations to figure out what was going on. That time, ALL the text was boxes. When I tried copying some of the boxes and pasting them into a browser, they showed up as Japanese characters there, so clearly the information is present and Steam just doesn't know how to display it.

I took a few screenshots of some of my attempts to finagle with Steam, if you want to know a bit more. My question was, has anyone else ran into these same issues with Steam and Japanese text?

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUmdxVUxXbmZIcXdhYTlURyIsImdkcHIiOjB9