Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam not working on 22

Hi. I tried installing Crossover 22, but now Steam just doesn't work. I can connect to my account, but then I got several windows that appear saying there was an issue with steamwebhelper.exe. In case it helps, there is also the details linked.
Am I the only one with this issue ?
Thanks in advance.
The log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H0qxpqJybLnSHbYTnu2slkJLa-q-5Iuv/view?usp=sharing

Same problem here. It wasn't working perfectly before the update because it crashed sometimes while in game or had trouble launching the games but it worked. However, now I can barely launch it. When it manages to launch it instantly crashes in the same way as described above.

I managed to install a game from my Steam account and I can still launch that directly and play without issues. I want to list my account in Steam and would prefer to start the game from there, but nothing loads even as I'm logged in. I've made sure there are no filters affecting Steam nor CrossOver, but I see nothing but my account name. If I try to load my account profile, account details or anything else, nothing happens. The native Steam app works fine, so it's not my account nor my larger network.

When I switched to Windows 10, from 7, this gave me back Steam again. There are other game issues, however.

Same problems here- if Steam even opens it will allow me to sign in, but then proceeds to instantly crash with no message.

Hmm, on Linux, I have always used the native steam app. But today, I wanted to see if it would let me play a windows game that would not start from there. I installed steam in CO 22 using the steam installer in the app and it worked perfectly. Signed in, and installed the game and it played. Tried another one, Planet Zoo, and it would crash after start. And the cloud sync is also not working.

Since upgrading to Kubuntu 22.10, I only get blank windows in Steam running through CO 22. Other issues with specific games have arisen that were not there before in 22.04 so not sure what is causing this. blank windows

Sheila G Flanagan wrote:

Since upgrading to Kubuntu 22.10, I only get blank windows in Steam running through CO 22. Other issues with specific games have arisen that were not there before in 22.04 so not sure what is causing this. blank windows

Hi Sheila,

Does a new Steam bottle work any better? It's also possible that your 22.10 install is missing some dependencies that CrossOver needs; you can try running "./cxfix --auto" from /opt/cxoffice and see if that helps.

Best,
Meredith

Usually I've successfully used the default tie for Steam as presented within the Home section of CrossOver to get Steam installed on a Mac.

The closest Mac to hand for my test results as below is a 2.8GHz i7 MacBook Pro with Intel Iris Pro graphics on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 connected to the internet via Wi-Fi on the en0 interface.

1) When I tried installing Steam from the Home section of CrossOver (22.0.1) the Windows 7 64-bit bottle was created but the process failed on every component download: Steam, Core Fonts, XML and the TrueType fonts.

2) Next, I tried installing other applications from ties into different bottles and everything worked as I expected it to, including internet access.

3) Also tried a manual method of installing Steam - creating a bottle and running the 'SteamSetup.exe' Windows installer, etc but was unable to complete the install process: "Steam - Fatal Error | Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

4) So, I've tried again just now using the tie for Steam from the Home section of CrossOver. The result this time was being able to download the required components of Steam, Core Fonts, XML and the TrueType fonts and continue. However, am still unable to complete the install process: "Steam - Fatal Error | Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

My results as above are limited; this is only one specific Mac I've tested and would need to try on different machines, interfaces and versions, etc to further troubleshoot.

Maybe someone else will share their experience/result regarding getting Steam installed on a Mac.

Happy to help as I'm able and provide an update with any solution I discover.

the same problem over here, why this happen, someone know?

If it’s just the Steam windows loading blank, I’ve had luck disabling CSMT to get this back working.

Workaround here https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/steam?;msg=275063

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieFlrcWUyTHZXWnBrWFNGUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9