Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I get this error message on EVERY Steam game. "The program [name].exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close."

Hi. So I'm a total newbie and don't really know how all this stuff works.

I recently purchased the update to Crossover 22.1 hoping it might fix my problems. I couldn't get any Steam games to run. After updating it still didn't work, so I deleted my old Steam bottle and did a clean install of a new Steam bottle.

I've tried downloading a few PC games from Steam and running them and I've gotten the above error message on all but one of them. If I click "close," it will keep trying to load the game over and over again giving the same error message, until I exit the program through Steam.

I did manage to get one small Indy game to load, except there's no window for it. I can hear the audio for it, and if I press enter I can hear the selection sound and the beginning sounds of the game, so it's clearly loading. I just can't see it.

I'm on a Macbook Air 2020 running os 10.15.7

I also submitted a support ticket but figured I'd post here as well in case anyone else is running into the same issue.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Which games did you try?

Best,
Meredith

Like maybe 5-6 can't remember them all. It's happened on literally every game I've tried. A lot of them are smaller indy games but some of them are bigger ones too. It doesn't seem to be a game-specific problem or else I don't think I would be getting the exact same message on all of them.

Really frustrating since the one thing I bought CrossOver for doesn't work.

I'll keep trying other games but I'm not hopeful.

Hi again,

The error message that you mention is actually very generic, and not necessarily indicative of a common root problem. Without knowing the games you tried, no one will be able to determine if it is game-specific or not.

Meredith

Saffo Papantonopoulou wrote:

Hi. So I'm a total newbie and don't really know how all this stuff works.

I recently purchased the update to Crossover 22.1 hoping it might fix my problems. I couldn't get any Steam games to run. After updating it still didn't work, so I deleted my old Steam bottle and did a clean install of a new Steam bottle.

I've tried downloading a few PC games from Steam and running them and I've gotten the above error message on all but one of them. If I click "close," it will keep trying to load the game over and over again giving the same error message, until I exit the program through Steam.

I did manage to get one small Indy game to load, except there's no window for rice purity test. I can hear the audio for it, and if I press enter I can hear the selection sound and the beginning sounds of the game, so it's clearly loading. I just can't see it.

I'm on a Macbook Air 2020 running os 10.15.7

I also submitted a support ticket but figured I'd post here as well in case anyone else is running into the same issue.

Thanks!

I understand that you're experiencing some issues with running Steam games on Crossover 22.1 after updating it. It seems that you have tried deleting your old Steam bottle and doing a clean install of a new one, but the error message persists. It's good that you've submitted a support ticket for assistance. Hopefully, they will be able to provide a solution or further guidance. It's also helpful to post about the issue in relevant forums to see if others have experienced similar problems.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSkVWdDR0N1FTR3RzTkJuNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9