Supreme Commander Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game won't launch after Steam install

I am trying out CrossOver as part of the free Halloween offer. First thing I did was install Steam, which seems to have gone fine. Then I downloaded Supreme Commander. Steam says the game is installed and I can find the relevant files in the bottle. However, when I try to play the game, via the "play" buttons inside Steam, nothing happens. OK, a dialog pops up "Supreme Commander - Steam" that says "Preparing to launch Supreme Commander..." but then it immediately goes away and no game launches. Same behavior after quitting CrossOver and trying again.

How can I tell what version of Supreme Commander was installed by Steam? In BootCamp, Steam appears to have given me the latest and greatest, so I'm doubtful that the "Patching" forum suggestion is valid, given how it was installed. If it helps, the Finder "Get Info" says the file is 528KB big.

I also looked for the file suggested in the "Blank screen during startup" but that file does not exist. There is no "Gas Powered Games" folder where it says there should be one. I suspect that folder and file get created when the game successfully launches, but since it never has on my computer, they are still missing.

Any suggestions? I was really hoping to get SupCom and SupCom/FA running here as they are 2 of the 4 games I have installed in my Boot Camp (Battlefield 2 and 3 being the other 2).

Thanks for any suggestions

Hello,

Close Steam and install in the same bottle the Visual C++ 2005 runtime. Check if the game will run after that You may also want to try and run this game in a emulated desktop.

How did you install Steam? Did you pick the entry from the "Install Windows Software" window?

I probably no longer care about running Supreme Commander, as I went ahead and downloaded Forged Alliance via Steam and it works without any adjustments or tweaks at all. It works even better than in my Boot Camp install, as there the only way for me to play is in Windowed-mode because in full-screen the cursor disappears.

If I spend some more time on this, I'll post my results here.

I cloned the bottle and installed the C++ runtime like suggested and that got things going a little better. I then ran into the problem where as soon as a game starts the video is broken. Trying to adjust the options in the game didn't seem to work; it crashed and didn't save my changes. So I edited the Game.prefs file by hand. Set the resolution as well. Now I can start skirmish games, but so far 3 of them have frozen while I was zooming in/out. I haven't looked at any options related to zooming yet.

Forged Alliance is running fine, however, so I'll likely just stick to that.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNzRHS1BGOXBoU0VzYlZlRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9