Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I've got it working - except for the keyboard!

Hi all,

I finally got ToMI up and running by starting a new bottle in Win98, installing IE6 into it, changing it to WinXP and installing the first chapter of ToMI. All running, variety of resolutions, excellent quality graphics and sound, on my 2.4GHz iMac with 4GB RAM.

Problem: the keyboard doesn't work. Therefore I can't move using the keyboard, can't pause/bring up menus with the Esc key, skip dialogue etc. This doesn't render it unplayable by any means, but not being able to save is a major problem.

I'm using an English UK keyboard, if it's any help.

Cheers,
Owen

Using a similar installation method as above (New Bottle as Win98, install IE6, change to Vista using winecfg), I get graphics and keyboard controls but no audio.

As a follow-up, I changed the bottle to WinXP instead of Vista and now have no issues (including a working keyboard).

I have the same problem with the keyboard not working. The game DOES autosave as you progress, but that means that you'll have to play longer sessions in order to get to those points. Otherwise, the game works flawlessly.

I solved my keyboard problem - it appears to be either resolution or 'windowed mode' related. When I was running it at the 1920 resolution, full screen (which incidentally was still a bit soft), no keyboard. At a lower resolution and running windowed, the keyboard came back and everything worked very nicely.

Graphics, even on highest settings (not that there are many options! Setting 1, Setting 2 and Setting 3 - I'm on 3), are apparently not that good although they're more than enough for me. Someone else running it on a Dual Booted Mac tells me that this screenshot from my Mac (2.4Ghz 24" iMac) is lousy quality with no effects whatsoever. I guess Crossover doesn't simulate proper Windows graphical whizzbang?

Anyway, it's all there and works, so I'm happy :)

yes, i can confirm this too. on 12800x800 resolution and windowed mode, the keyboard works just fine. thanks for the find, i'm so happy that this game works perfectly on my mac!

Nevermind, I just switched to crossover games and it works great. Thanks for the tips!

Hi I'm new to Macs and crossover and have been attempting to follow the instructions in this forum to install Monkey Island.

Basically I clicked Manage bottles and created a new Win 98 bottle.

I then downloaded internet explorer 6 from microsoft and added it to this bottle (this seemed weird lol)

I then used winecfg to change it to winxp and installed monkey island.

But when i launch monkey island it just appears in the dock for a few seconds then disappears without launching.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit I think I may be doing something wrong when changing it to winxp I'm not exactly sure how to do this!

To change it to windows xp, go to mange bottles, go to the bottle, go to the control panel and run winecfg. When winecfg first opens, you should see windows version at the bottom, change that to windows xp and press apply, that is all you have to do to change it. BTW, internet explorer is needed for telltale's boot up screen. Tell me if I can do anything else.

Has any of you been able to get the graphics quality past 3? I've got the game running very well at 1440x900 on my MBP, but I can't seem to increase my quality past 3.

nope, none of us can get it past 3, I don't find that to be a big deal though.

I've just beat the -short- chapter 1 with only few minor graphical glitches (the evil hand randomly smoked some squares and some black lines in the jungle paths).

My config :
Macbook pro 15", 4 Go RAM,
Crossover Games 7.2
Win XP bottle with Crossover html engine and microsoft directx runtime (no need to install Internet Explorer ?)

Experienced a random white screen on load and a non working keyboard when i was in full screen mode then I changed the config to a 1280*800 windowed-screen mode and all turned to be ok.

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoickVoYktTVktmc1hYR1FFRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9