Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

HELP! Cannot run Tales of Monkey Island

Help guys!

I cannot get Tales of Monkey Island to run on my Macbook White. I have followed the instructions found in Tips & Tricks to the letter, but I still couldn't get it to run. When I try to open the game, it shows the Telltale Games welcome screen but a Program Error dialog box appears saying that "The program MonkeyIsland101.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have Crossover Games 8.1.3 demo version installed and am seriously considering buying a registration key if only it could run my Telltale games. Hope you guys can help!

Specs:
Macbook White
Mac OS X 10.6.2
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Hi,
We added a workaround for a Snow Leopard ATI bug in 8.1.3 that broke Team Fortress 2 and other games, but unfortunately that workaround broke all Telltale games. You can either wait for 8.1.4, which should fix that - I guess we'll release that somewhen next week when we got the fallout of Thursday's Steam update fixed, or use 8.1.2 for Tales of Monkey Island for now.

hey stefan, thanks for your reply!

i have actually tried 8.1.0 and 8.1.2 versions, followed the same instructions, but still to no avail =(...just to clarify, is it only the steam versions of telltale games that work with crossover?

Oh yeah, I missed part of your original description - it doesn't sound like a driver issue. And yes, only the Steam version works because the non-steam version's DRM doesn't work on CrossOver Games yet.

Hi Aikee.
Which of the "Tales" are you trying to play?
I can get them (the Telltale downloads, not the Steam ones) all to run in CrossOver Games 8.1.2 (but not 8.1.3, as Stefan pointed out) using the tricks posted on the Tips & Tricks page.
However, episodes 3 and 4 will display the error message you mentioned unless you put the D3DX9_41.dll file in their bottle (whereas it is included in the downloads for the first 2 episodes).
You can probably find it online via a Google search (or I'll be happy to e-mail it to you).
Download it and put it in the game's directory ( it should be somewhere like /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood/drive_c/Program Files/Telltale Games/Tales of Monkey Island/The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood/ ).
Everything should play fine after that.
Keep us posted.

Hi,

The d3dx9_41.dll is provided by the directx runtime modern target in cxinstallwizard.
Of course, you can download this file off the 'net and manually copy it into your
bottle as an alternative....

Cheers!

finally, i got it to work! albeit by accident...just wanted to share how i did it:

so i was able to make a TOMI 1 bottle following the instructions on tips and tricks...as we all know, i always get the Program Error dialog box whenever i try to open TOMI 1.

so i experimented a bit and tried installing TOMI directly to a winxp bottle, without installing ie6...by doing so, i was able to get to the welcome screen where you enter your serial number without the Program Error dialog box appearing...after i entered my serial number, the welcome screen just went white, so i told myself: it's another failed attempt.

i left the welcome screen open in the hopes that it might still load...with the welcome screen still open, i went to manage bottles trying to figure out what else i can do to make the damn thing work...i went to my TOMI 1 bottle, clicked on Advanced button then Open C: Drive in Finder until i reached the folder where my monkeyisland101.exe file was located...i decided to double click on it, and a few seconds after, another welcome screen appears but to my delight, a clickable link can be found on the top right that says "Click to Run the Game"! i clicked on it, and voila, i am now able to play TOMI! i used the same steps for TOMI 2, and it works like a charm!

hope this helps those who are experiencing the same thing!

Aikee Enciso wrote:

finally, i got it to work! albeit by accident...just wanted to share
how i did it:

so i was able to make a TOMI 1 bottle following the instructions on
tips and tricks...as we all know, i always get the Program Error
dialog box whenever i try to open TOMI 1.

so i experimented a bit and tried installing TOMI directly to a
winxp bottle, without installing ie6...by doing so, i was able to
get to the welcome screen where you enter your serial number without
the Program Error dialog box appearing...after i entered my serial
number, the welcome screen just went white, so i told myself: it's
another failed attempt.

i left the welcome screen open in the hopes that it might still
load...with the welcome screen still open, i went to manage bottles
trying to figure out what else i can do to make the damn thing
work...i went to my TOMI 1 bottle, clicked on Advanced button then
Open C: Drive in Finder until i reached the folder where my
monkeyisland101.exe file was located...i decided to double click on
it, and a few seconds after, another welcome screen appears but to
my delight, a clickable link can be found on the top right that says
"Click to Run the Game"! i clicked on it, and voila, i am now able
to play TOMI! i used the same steps for TOMI 2, and it works like a
charm!

You should consider writing this up in a more step by step mode and add it to the tips and tricks (or at least ad the part about leaving the welcome screen open and relaunching).

Or, I can do it for you (but I think you should get the 'creds' for your tips).

Aikee Enciso wrote:

how i did it:

another failed attempt.

charm!

This actually makes a bit of sense to me, after some experience with other TellTale games titles.
If I'm right, this behavior is going to change in future versions of crossover-games, once/if the
HTML engine changes introduced in wine-1.1.31 trickle down to the crossover wine build...

@Caron -- I've a feeling TOM1&2 are going to be similarly disposed to my ticket 764900

Cheers!

Don

Caron Wills wrote:

Aikee Enciso wrote:

finally, i got it to work! albeit by accident...just
wanted to share how i did it:

so i was able to make a TOMI 1 bottle following the instructions
on

get to the welcome screen where you enter your serial number
without
another failed attempt.

load...with the welcome screen still open, i went to manage
bottles
monkeyisland101.exe file was located...i decided to double click
on
my delight, a clickable link can be found on the top right that
says
to play TOMI! i used the same steps for TOMI 2, and it works like
a
charm!

You should consider writing this up in a more step by step mode and
add it to the tips and tricks (or at least ad the part about leaving
the welcome screen open and relaunching).

Or, I can do it for you (but I think you should get the 'creds' for
your tips).

i'm afraid i'm unable to post under tips and tricks, but by all means, please feel free to post the following there:

1) follow the instructions on Tips & Tricks: The Telltale Trick to the letter for every telltale title you have
2) install your Telltale titles in a winxp bottle. Important: DO NOT INSTALL IE6 in this bottle.
3) after installing, open your Telltale title by using the programs menu. the welcome screen should appear asking for your serial number, enter it. you should now be left with a white welcome screen. DO NOT CLOSE THE SCREEN.
4) while keeping the welcome screen open, go to manage bottles then to your telltale bottle.
5) click on advanced button then the button Open C: Drive in Finder.
6) go to your telltale games directory and open the executable file (for ex: monkeyisland101.exe). a welcome screen should appear with a clickable link in the top left. click that. you are now ready to play!

Aikee Enciso wrote:

how i did it:

another failed attempt.

charm!

Hi Aikee,

I just thought I'd explain your little 'accident' here, for you to better understand exactly what
it is you stumbled across with this. Basically speaking, when you first start a lot of telltale
game titles, they invoke ieframe.exe to draw the registration/play game GUI. The ieframe GUI is
part of Internet Explorer as such, and this establishes the validating internet connection which
the game itself needs to be registered/run. I deduce what is -supposed- to happen, is after the
successful ieframe/internet negotiations, in the windows case the actual game executable is then
invoked, and this is pretty much where the wheels fall off in crossover/wine.

When you did what you described above, you in effect recreated this scenario -- when you subsequently
started the actual monkeyisland101.exe file, after having already hoisted the ieframe session, the
monkeyisland101.exe found the necessary validation tokens needed for it to run, and away it goes.. ;)

This whole ieframe interaction thing is probably easiest fathomed when the two processes are
somewhat isolated from each other...see;

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119817&postcount=3

Note: I do not suggest you do the above (and the WineHQ crowd say the same thing), but if you
understand what rsync does, and look at the path statements and how that whole ies4linux setup
works, you come to understand what's going on. The above does work (I've tested it), however it
is now a little out-of-date because as of wine-1.1.31 (and using the latest wine gecko), this
all now works fine without any need to install a 'real' IE redist.

One thing I would personally like to know here, as referenced against behavior noted with the
latest devel-wine releases, is that even though it all works in latest wine-devel + gecko, it
is still a requirement to change directory to where the actual game executable resides before
launching it...(at least, this is so for the wallace&gromit series from telltale). What you
say works here for TOMI doesn't work for the wallace&gromit titles, so apparently they're both
using ieframe in somewhat different ways.....
....the reason I mention this, is because what you
describe, sounds more or less what latest wine-devel will do, if you're not in the actual dir
the executable is in when launched : it sounds like the crossover HTML engine is doing enough
to satisfy what TOMI wants from it -- what might be a useful experiment, is doing something
like the following (sorry, I don't know the Mac equivalents for the paths, but in linux..)

In a shell/xterm, change directory to where monkeyisland101.exe is. In linux with COG, I would
use a command like ;

~/cxgames/bin/wine --bottle [bottle_name] monkeyisland101.exe

...and see if anything changed in the way things proceed during game startup. (substitute
[bottle_name] without brackets with the name of the bottle you have TOMI installed into)

Cheers!

hi guys, sorry the bad English, I use a translator.
I am here to ask for help, I downloaded the new version of crossover game but the game Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1 works with a Bottle winxp but not the keyboard, I followed the instructions, tips & tricks to the letter but it seems the same written Aike

Aikee Enciso wrote:

When I try to open the game, it shows the Telltale Games welcome
screen but a Program Error dialog box appears saying that "The
program MonkeyIsland101.exe has encountered a serious problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have
Crossover Games 8.1.3 demo version installed and am seriously
considering buying a registration key if only it could run my
Telltale games. Hope you guys can help!

I also tried with version 8.1.3. but does not work.
Can someone help me?
Thanks
Bianca

Specs:
Macbookpro 15 "
Mac OSX 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + GeForce 9600

Hi Bianca.

Did you try running the game in windowed mode (following the first trick on the Tips & Tricks page?

Hi Steve,

I managed to run the game.
I followed the instructions of tips & tricks, I created the bottles and then deleted (6 / 7 repeat lol), now works.
"Windowed Mode"? I do not know what it means, you may run the game not full screen and low resolution? I solved this way.

Thanks Steve

Bianca

P.S. try with the other chapters

Not full screen is indeed what I meant by "windowed mode".
Glad it works for you.
Enjoy the games!

The instructions in the tips/tricks didn't work for me. I run 8.1.4 in Snow Leopard. :(. Any other assistance would be nice.
I've tried windowed mode, and followed the instructions to run telltale games step-by-step.. and have had no luck. I still get an error message.

Specs:
OSX 10.6.2
2.13 C2D
4GB 667mhz ddr2
geforce 9400m

This is the error message I received:
"The program MonkeyIsland101.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check http://appdb.winehq.org for tips about running this application.

If this problem is not present under Windows and has not been reported yet, you can report it at http://bugs.winehq.org."

:( :( :(

I paid for crossover games just to play TOMI, yet I encounter this. sigh...

Two possible solutions:

1) Check that the D3DX9_41.dll file is in the game's directory (which should look something like /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Launch of the Screaming Narwhal/drive_c/Program Files/Telltale Games/Tales of Monkey Island/Launch of the Screaming Narwhal/).
I had a similar problem with later episodes which was solved by adding that file in the directory (see full thread for my problem at https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=25;msg=62013).

2) Download the Mac version of the game (free if you bought the game from the Telltale website) from your "My Telltale" page.

Good luck!

Steve Lefebvre wrote:

Two possible solutions:

1) Check that the D3DX9_41.dll file is in the game's directory
(which should look something like
/Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/CrossOver
Games/Bottles/Launch of the Screaming Narwhal/drive_c/Program
Files/Telltale Games/Tales of Monkey Island/Launch of the Screaming
Narwhal/).
I had a similar problem with later episodes which was solved by
adding that file in the directory (see full thread for my problem at
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=25;msg=62013).

2) Download the Mac version of the game (free if you bought the game
from the Telltale website) from
[link=http://www.telltalegames.com/mytelltale/purchases]your "My
Telltale" page[/link].

Good luck!

LOL!!! I didn't know there was a mac version! Thanks!!! hahaha! And yes, your solution worked as well :P :P

No biggie, the Mac version was only released yesterday.
Having played through the entire game in CrossOver Games and only through the intro of the Mac version, I feel that the click-and-drag control method was a little smoother in the PC version but I can run the Mac version at a higher graphic level (9, to be precise).
I also believe that Telltale is still working on improving the Mac version, as they mostly wanted to have this build ready for the MacWorld expo in San Francisco.

Hi guys,
I am here again to ask for advice and aid.
I know that Tales of Monkey Island was released for Mac, a few posts ago I wrote that I was able to run the game, now I wanted to play Wallace and Gromit and I wanted to get the file "D3DX9_41.dll" to replace it (as you suggested in another tread), I discovered that no longer works as it does not run Walla Tales ....... comes the same screen that you enclose

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/14x2qab.jpg[/IMG]

You can let me know if something wrong or is the version of CrossOver Game?
Thanks
Bianca

Did you try this?

I tried everything, the nice thing is that before Wallace &...... running but the keyboard does not.
It could be the new version? I do not remember which version I tried in September.
Does not run even more Tales ........

Some of these require that you launch the program from within
the game install directory..at least, in linux this is still
the case...have you tried this?

Cheers!

I launch the game is to Programs ---> Telltale game ---> Tales of Monkey Island ----> Launch of ....... goes into window mode then the one written out that I posted before.
I tried making Programs ---> run command ----> chose the bottle of Tomi -----> Programfile -> Telltale Games -> Tales of Monkey Island -> Launch Of The Screaming Narwahal -> Monkeyisland101.exe result as above.
If you launch the game Manage Bottles -> Tomi -> Advanced -> open drive c: -> Programfile -> Telltale Games -> Tales of Monkey Island -> Launch Of The Screaming Narwahal -> Monkeyisland101.exe out the same written, does not go into windowed mode.
What I do not understand is that before working, I have not changed anything it added new programs!

A help or an idea, I do not know what to do
Bianca

P.S. I read now that is only supported version of STEAM is not true because I am able to run Tomi

I upgrade
Wallace & Gromit the game I could run it with a bottle windowsxp, the first that is created when you start to configure, learn all about chapters are fine with replacing the file d3dx9_27.dll D3DX9_41.dll, Tales of Monkey Island but I have not yet because not be understood.
I have a question, if duplicates the bottle of WindowsXP with the button "Add Duplicate ...." and install one of the chapters of Wallace & Gromit, the subtitles in other languages do not load the game,why only with the duplicate?
If someone wants to answer and explain .....
Thanks

Bianca

Hi there again,

Now I'm becoming confused a bit here...not because of your english, that I
can deal with...but the outlay of events here is becoming contradictory and/or
you have one of those cheap translators that cannot read your mind 😎

Now, a month or so back (Date: 2010-02-04 06:47) you reported you had TOMI
running? True? I know there are more than one installments of the game, and
therefore you will need to be very clear which episodes work and which don't.
(if you say "TOMI does not work" that could mean all TOMI episodes of TOMI
do not work...for example) -- make sure you make things crystal clear in multiple
episode games like this. Not all episodes do the same things software wise.

Mentioning the Wallace&Gromit titles here, is out of place. They have their own
C4 pages/forums, and problems/issues related to those games should be discussed
on those pages...not here. I makes more sense to keep all information about each
title separate and in one location, so that...ie; information about W&G isn't
'lost' and buried in the TOMI forum/pages...see;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/group/?app_parent=5587;

As far as I know, TOMI is an unsupported game...but I see your confusion. That
text related to the Steam version should probably read ;

"(The) Steam version of this game is known to work with CrossOver, but please
note that this application is unsupported in any form."

I'll let our Incomparable Ninjas know about this, and they should fix it up asap...
..in fact, that should more correctly be..;

"(The) Steam version of this game is known to work with CrossOver Games, but please
note that this application is unsupported in any form."

Oh, and these things only relate to support levels -- they do not speak to the
case of whether other versions/releases of the game work or not. This is a spin off
I think of the fact that Steam is a supported app, and as such titles that run
in/with Steam are duly reported into C4 -- this does not mean all Steam games
are officially supported, just that the Steam version is known to work..

When I say running from inside the game install directory, I was more referring
to something like ... cd /bottle/path/to/game/execute && wine-command (debugflags)
somegame.exe ...but as I only have a linux setup, I don't really know how you'd
go about that in Mac..(it's possible, I just don't know the paths ;)....

I'm not sure I would be installing these things all into the same bottle - I'm
not sure if that's a wise idea due to differences with the games themselves - Steve
probably has a better idea regarding how practical that approach is, but around here
each telltale game gets it's own bottle. Regarding the duplicating bottles business,
I am unsure...it could be anywhere between (original) bottle corruption that's not
being inherited by the dupe (which would be rare I guess)...or....when you say you
upgraded...what did you upgrade? Your version of crossover-games? That may have
something to do with it if that's what's been upgraded...hard to say, your explanation
of the issue needs to be a little more clear...are you saying creaing a new bottle
and installing the game doesn't display the subtitles etc...but a duplicate of that
same new bottle -does- display the subtitles?...that's be errant behavior, let me know...

Cheers!

Like Don, I'm not positive what the exact problems you are having, so until you clarify the problems, here are some pieces of advice, rather than fixes.

1) Never install several games in one bottle. It might work for all I know, but it might just end up confusing CrossOver. One game / One bottle.

2) If you upgraded CrossOver Games and games which were working in a previous version are no longer running, re-install them. In a completely different case, I had (and still have some) problems getting Escape From Monkey Island to run run in CrossOver Games. I finally get it to run almost perfectly, but I had to re-install it in a new bottle, as the bottle created with the previous version of CrossOver Games ran the game the same way as before.

3) Follow the instructions on this page (for TOMI) or this one (for W & G) to the letter. If you need more explanations about one of the steps described in those tips and tricks, I will be happy to help you.

4) You mention in one of your posts that the keyboard appears to not be running. Make sure you are playing in windowed mode (how to do that is explained on this page again. It is necessary for the keyboard to work in both TOMI and W & G.

5) Don mentions that in Linux some of the games require that you launch the program from within the game install directory. I have never had to do that in Mac OSx so far.

Finally, I'm not sure about the subtitle problem but it might be, as Don says, a case of bottle corruption or maybe the duplicate is not set to the same resolution and the subtitles are outside of the displayable area?

As Don said, it's hard to help you efficiently if we are not sure what the exact problem is.
Please be more detailed (which game, which episode, which bottle, which version of CrossOver Games,...) in your next post (and maybe have the translator translate shorter sentences at one time, as it appears to cut off pieces of your sentences).

Sorry for the confusion of the games.
Sorry for the bad translation.
CrossOver Game Version 8.1.4

One bottle / one chapter "Launch Of The Screaming Narwahal" I followed the instructions to the letter. The chapter ran two months ago, not today.
I used the Mac version 😉

P.S. I will open a thread in Wallace & Gromit

Thank you, that's perfectly clear.
Did you upgrade CrossOver Games since the game worked last?
If so, could you try re-installing the game in a new bottle (I'm not sure that it would make a difference, as I've upgraded CrossOver Games several times since I first installed the game and, apart from a slight problem when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, everything has always worked fine)?
Another thing to do (maybe even before you re-install the game) would be what I suggested to another user in the first part of this post.

Thanks Steve
I update the version 8.1.4?
I think the bottle is being corrupted.
I do not understand how.
I tried reinstalling the procedure to the letter ........ nothing
The cause could be a program? as IE6?

Did you try this:

"Check that the D3DX9_41.dll file is in the game's directory (which should look something like /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Launch of the Screaming Narwhal/drive_c/Program Files/Telltale Games/Tales of Monkey Island/Launch of the Screaming Narwhal/).
I had a similar problem with later episodes which was solved by adding that file in the directory (see full thread for my problem here)."

Yes the D3DX9_41.dll file is in the game's directory you described.
I do not have snow leopard
Comes the same error Razzberry (see full thread for my problem here)

1 to 32 of 32

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS0Iyc3BDZTlFWU1yVUFoYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9