Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crashing While Sending Client Data (Ubuntu 10.10, der iGolaware 2.0)

I finally got steam running under CrossOver Games 10 on a derivitive of Ubuntu 10.10. Team Fortress 2 is platinum supported under Wine and is silver under CrossOver. The game crashes without so much as an error message when nearing the end of the loading phase "Sending Client Data" as I am about to join a game.

Is this a common problem with a simple solution?

If more information is needed I would be happy to provide it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi,

I keep TF2 installed, and I just tried (after the inevitable client update which seemingly happens every week), and I seem to be having problems as well -- I'm not seeing any crashing, but, I cannot get into any game -- I can connect etc, but in the editing loadout screen I lose connection before actually joining the game proper, and further, once that happens, I have to shutdown/restart TF2 or a keep getting a 'Steam authorization failed' or such and similar.

As I know for sure this 'was' working correctly at the release of CXG-10, I need suspect something in a TF2 update may be at fault...

Anyone else seeing issues?

Cheers!

ps: have to check on the iMac yet...

Update: M'kay ... it's still seemingly fine in OSX ; I could connect to server, join in, shoot people maniacally, same'ole same'ole really <grin> ... no connection errors etc etc... no problems...

Then, quit out of that game, quit Steam on the iMac, fire things up in linux (trying to connect to the same server I just left) -- immediately back to where I was before ; can't join game, get a connection error instead....no bliss, no blood, no joy...

....according to my systemlog scribbles, the only update since last I checked this title, has been the nvidia driver version ; I'm going to try rolling back a couple of release versions to see if that has any effect -- if it doesn't, something else has happened (likely a TF2 did it ;)... more later

Update 2: Rolling back to nvidia 256.53 drivers fixed the issue straight up ; no more problems. This tallies with my own observations that the nvidia 260.xx.xx drivers haven't been quite as good as the previous releases on my 9800GT card. There will be numerous factors involved that suggest this might not work for everyone, but, it worked for me and I'm happy to stay with 256.53 - later releases engender no appreciable performance difference for me on this rig...(and apparently have something to do with TF2 being whacky)....

Can anyone confirm rolling back nvidia driver version is a fix for them as well?

Cheers!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNlY4cGM0NWhrZ040c1ZzMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9