Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

TF2 crashing...

So, I just installed the new Crossover games software of my mac, and at first glance everything seems to be running fine... STEAM starts up well, I can connect to a server, and start playing. Then, out of nowhere, TF2 just quits. No error message, no nothing. This happening to anyone else? Anything I can do?

Edit:
Black Macbook 2.4Ghz
2GB RAM
GMA X3100
Mac OS X 10.5.6

This just started happening on my sister's White Macbook 2.4Ghz with the GMA X3100 running 10.5.6. It only started crashing after the latest Crossover Games update. I'm gonna try downgrading to 7.1 and see if that fixes the problem.

EDIT:
It looks like the 7.1 Crossover Games isn't available on the Archived downloads page. Someone should fix that. I'll try with the 7.0 version instead for the time being.

Well reverting to CXGames 7.0 fixed the problem, she was able to play continuously for a while. I'm about to upgrade to 7.2 on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz with the 8600m. I'll report back if I start getting crashes.

Also I'd like to apologize to the Crossover staff for not testing the latest release candidate on my sister's Macbook. It didn't occur to me that it might behave differently than on my own Macbook Pro...

Hi,
Other people reported this issue as well. I'm working on that, but still have no idea what could be wrong.

Well, thanks for letting us know that there does seem to be an issue, and it's not completely isolated.

Update for myself: I downgraded my Crossover Games to version 7.0.0 and that seemed to do the trick, the other versions had the same issue as 7.2.0. Sadly, as of today a new error when I try to start TF2 now is a STEAM message that says that the game is currently unavailable. However, I see people on my friends list playing. I don't know whether this is a Crossover issue, or STEAM issue and it will probably solve itself soon enough. Just updating. :P

hah yeah its definitely crashing. for me at the end of the rounds. and "useGLSL" is causing a black screen when launched.

Okay, I am actually running with 7.1.0 now, not 7.0. Also the STEAM error message did indeed fix itself.

Hi,
So I've just seen a crash in Team Fortress 2 myself. It took over an hour of playing, and I was about to write that everything was working as expected. Oh well.

I'll see if I can reproduce this a second time and I hope I can find out what the cause of this is. Meanwhile, I have a few questions:

) Do you also see the crashes when you're running around on an empty server started by yourself?
) Do you have any special settings like GLSL enabled or dxlevel 90?
) Does anyone see this problem on Linux?
) Does the problem occur for you in other Source engine games too?

Ah, one more question: Is the crash specific to some map? For me 2fort crashed, while some other map without water worked fine for about 30 minutes(then I quit manually)

Yes, the crashes occur on an empty server.
No, there are no special display settings.
Based on this thread, this appears to be happening only on the GMA video chipsets, possibly only the X1300s. This weekend I might be able to test on an older macbook.
I have not tested any other source engine games, but I will if I can later.
The first crash instance occurred on Dustbowl, which lacks water. It also crashed on Badwater Basin and 2fort.

Also, the crashes I experienced occurred literally a few seconds after the map finished loading.

I suspect that there are two different problems then.

I have a ATI X1600, and it doesn't crash on an empty server. I suspect my crash is related to our old font problem which we hack around by reducing the size of the kill glyphs. In another thread(I posted a post there linking to this thread) someone with a geforce 8 reports similar issues.

It should be noted that people have reported crashes in 7.1 too, although they seem different

A blind guess is that we have
(1) a regression with Intel X3100 cards
(2) A problem with maybe one of the weapon glyphs

I do not have any special graphics settings that I have changed.
I have not tried on an empty server yet, but will do so in a few.
It crashed fro me on 2Fort, Warpath, and a couple payload maps. I was playing a variety of different classes as well.
Sadly, I have been poor recently, so I do not have any other source games to try out 7.2. :(

Xover 7.1.0 has been working just fine for me, albeit with the known Steam issues.

So I think the crash I get is one crash, not different ones. I've got a backtrace now that points inside the Mac OpenGL driver, I'll try to get a reasonable log next. Its a bit tricky when you have to play for 20-30 minutes to trigger the bug :-/

With the X3100 I've run into some other issues: I realized that we do not have a single mac with that card in the office, and Mac has stopped using the card on their newest series. That means I have to rely on remote debugging ☹️ . Can anyone who gets crashes on a X3100 card make a +d3d,+d3d9 log for me? You can do that with the programs->run command dialog. Once you have the log with a crash, please compress it and tell me the size of the log. Once I know the size I'll find some way to transfer it to me. Note that the uncompressed log might go into tens of gigabytes of size. I hope the compressed one stays below 100 MB.

hasn't crashed since the day i downloaded it. yep, weird.

GLSL isnt working, black screen. im on dxlvl 8. something i believe

tiger 10.5.6

dont own any other source games

Never had a crash prior to 7.2 Games except when I left myself logged in and a friend messaged me. Then the audio would loop, the screen would minimize in proper mac style, and the window would un-maximize (fancy mac style) but to a window, not full screen. Then the looping audio stops and the game freezes. I can usually kill it without ssh'ing into my machine.

Now (after the upgrade to 7.2 Games), this happens every time I play, although I usually get 30 minutes - 3 hours before it happens.

Also, when I launch the game, I see a mouse pointer..... as the game goes on, the pointer becomes invisible (although I can sorta navigate menus because the game highlights things and gives an audible click).

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0393
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3011
Displays:
Cinema HD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

Guess what though..... I tried Bootcamp.... under XP with the latest video drivers and the gfx features cranked all the way down, the game is much smoother in Crossover than native Windows! Admittedly, this is with the fancy shading disabled and no facial expressions, but is still worth a little bragging rights. Go Codeweavers!

EDIT: Some of the crashes don't actually do the minimize/maximize behavior.... some do. I'll try a reboot just for fun.

I'm also having problems with crashing. The game runs fine, and everything seems to be in good order, but then at some random point, usually 15 minutes in or so, the game crashes. It freezes, the audio loops, and then it blacks out. It seems to do this more often at 1920x1200 resolution than at 1280x800, though I can't be certain as I haven't played it a whole lot at the lower res.

Additionally, when I enable facial animations using the registry edit, I get a black screen at startup. I can hear sounds when I move my mouse over the invisible selections, but I cannot see anything so I have to quit out.

During gameplay proper, sometimes the mouse cursor appears in the middle of the screen, where the target reticle is, and doesn't go away. Not game-breaking, but quite irritating.

This is using the most recent version of CrossoverGames, running on my previous generation MacBook Pro. 17", 2.4Ghz, 2G RAM, Mac OS 10.5.6, with an Nvidia 8600M GT video card.

Possibly related driver issue, but off-topic: One of the things that is very problematic is that when a player and a medic are ubered, it is EXTREMELY difficult to tell. For some reason, they do not flash and show up as reflective-shiny players when I am playing under Mac OS--instead they are coloured blue-ish or red-ish depending on their team, which is quite difficult to see in a firefight.

Erm..just my two cents..but this bug came after the TF2 scout pack update..
The game itself ..running in windows..is already buggy..There are many places where animations dont appear fully in windows..Maybe.this causes the problem...Anyway.. my Tf2 crashes on starting in linux >.<

Shawn Cooper wrote:

I'm also having problems with crashing. The game runs fine, and
everything seems to be in good order, but then at some random point,
usually 15 minutes in or so, the game crashes. It freezes, the audio
loops, and then it blacks out. It seems to do this more often at
1920x1200 resolution than at 1280x800, though I can't be certain as
I haven't played it a whole lot at the lower res.

I had this problem until I added in the startup command options "-dx80". Interestingly enough, the audio normally stops working about 20 minutes into the game unless I select "headphones" in the "Audio-Options" menu. And every 10-15 minutes or so my audio and video stutters for a couple of seconds.

On a side note TF2 never saves my in-game options for video resolution and shader settings, but i think thats just a registry error, and while annoying does not make it worth it to reinstall my bottle.

Ubuntu Gutsy 8.10
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
Nvidia 9800 GT
CXGames 7.1.1

As long as the startup command "-dxlevel 80" is set, the game resets the setting on every start.

Oh!!!
Thanks,

I also have the problem when I try to set command line presets to resolution as "-w 1600 -h 1200" it doesn't work. Is that the same type of problem?

Just a small update:

The problem seems to be a memory leak. When running TF2, there is a pretty small leak, approximately 4 kb per second. Sooner or later either the memory or the address space is full, and the game crashes.

The problem already existed in 7.1.1, but for some reason a few more megabytes of memory were free there. I suspect that some additional resource caching in D3D causes this. Due to the tininess of the leak a few MB can delay the crash long enough that many users never see it. But when playing long enough the game crashes on 7.1.1 too, and some users reported that here earlier.

I am currently trying to find the source of the leak. It could be in TF2 itself as well, but unfortunately my Windows test box crashes when I run TF2 and the task manager next to each other :-/ . I suspect that the bug is in CrossOver because Newman tried to reproduce the leak on Windows and didn't see it. If it turns out that the bug is in TF2, I'll try to release caches more aggressively. If I can inch out 50-100 MB that should delay the crash for 4-8 hours.

Lowering the graphics details and screen resolution reduces the memory requirements too and might allow you to play longer.

Erm..just my two cents..
But from what my friends and i noticed on windows xp..The new scout pack update had caused tf2 to be unstable and also causes many animation error.
The steam client and ingame interface itself also have many bug... Like the ingame overlay crashing on start mic chat with friends ,,and joining other servers from friends list.

That's interesting... But it doesn't seem to address the problem originally stipulated by this thread. I still don't see why TF2 would crash immediately upon loading a map on my MacBook but run for a number of hours without problems on my MacBook Pro. The fact that the problem goes away by downgrading to CXG 7.1.1 suggests there was some regression in 7.2.0.

Oh and just so you know I filed a support ticket about this issue.

Jeremy: Yeah, there are two different bugs. One is the memory leak, the other is specific to the X3100 card. So far I am tracking down the memleak because that seems to affect a wider range of hardware and thus users, and I can reproduce it on my local hardware.

The memory leak is in fact a bug in the game. I could reproduce it on Windows, and I have reported it to Valve. I'll try to find a workaround on our side by making our D3D caches more intelligent and saving a bit of memory.

Regarding the X3100 crashes, I need some logs to diagnose it further, because we do not have any mac with this card in the office and cannot buy one because Apple stopped using this card. I think I wrote about this in an earlier post in this thread; I'll double check and repost it if it got lost

Wrt the log, this is from an earlier posting:

With the X3100 I've run into some other issues: I realized that we do not have a single mac with that card in the office, and Mac has stopped using the card on their newest series. That means I have to rely on remote debugging. Can anyone who gets crashes on a X3100 card make a +d3d,+d3d9 log for me? You can do that with the programs->run command dialog. Once you have the log with a crash, please compress it and tell me the size of the log. Once I know the size I'll find some way to transfer it to me. Note that the uncompressed log might go into tens of gigabytes of size. I hope the compressed one stays below 100 MB.

I created a new bottle, installed DirectX Redistributable from download and then installed Steam and TF2. This was suggested in the support ticket I created about the issue. Now the game seems to run fine in CrossOver 7.2. It hasn't been run long enough to exhibit the memory leak problem but it no longer crashes shortly after a game starts.

I tried posting this earlier, but my connection timed out so apparently it did not go through. I would be more than happy to make you a log of the crash if I knew how... By "the programs->run command dialog" do you mean that I can do this through the TF2 console? If so, what exactly do I need to type in there, and where is the file going to go? Or can you link me to a place that I can go to in order to find this information to get over to you? I'd really like to try out the Steam improvement you guys have made, but not at the cost of getting booted as soon as I get all of my buildings up while playing an engineer.

Also, (shameless plug warning) be sure to check out the No Heroes servers!

The link for the 'howto' is here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/submittechsupportlog

You can create your own server for the test. The file will be placed on your desktop, then you would open a support ticket or email info@codeweavers.com and send the file to us. (archive or compress the file please! If it will not send to us, send the ticket and we will set up a secure location for the file)

If you have further questions, please file a support ticket or email us. We lose track of issues and bugs in the forums very easily, the tickets are monitored on an hourly and daily basis Monday thru Friday. The forums are read by many staff members, but with 500+ posts a week, we get lost!

can someone elaborate the directx redistributable thing that that guy is talking about? does it work without crashing afterwards?

When CrossOver Games installs Steam, it automatically installs DirectX. If this was done after March 16th, you would have gotten a more recent version of DirectX than if it had been done earlier. We changed this on our server, so it doesn't matter what version of CrossOver Games you are/were using.

You may be able to get the effect by repeated the installation of DirectX into an existing bottle, although the cleanest approach is to create a new bottle and install Steam into there. You can copy your Steam games from one bottle to another to avoid having to re-download them.

To install DirectX only, you need to show service packs and dependencies in the installer assistant. On Linux, there's a checkbox in the installer assistant. On a Mac, there's a setting in CrossOver's preferences.

[quote=316928]
During gameplay proper, sometimes the mouse cursor appears in the middle of the screen, where the target reticle is, and doesn't go away. Not game-breaking, but quite irritating.

This is caused by Steam In-Game Messages. I posted a fix in the TF2 Tips and Tricks section.

Chris

The crashes I have been experiencing are quite random really. Although I find that other players voice chat can sometimes cause this. The other tell tale sign is missing texture or texture that look like scrambled letters.

Forrest M- I'm seeing the same type of crash. It seem like it started with v8.1 of Crossover Games. Is that your experience?

With 8.1.3 my game freezes with an audio loop shortly after joining a server. I don't get the odd textures, though.

How common's this issue? Anyone got any fixes to try before submitting a support ticket? =S

I've had this issue happen alot of times. I've found that it helps to select servers from within TF2 instead of from steam, and to use lower graphics settings. Start really low and work your way up to something that works for you.

This usually happens when the game is loading content into RAM (like additional sounds or Rebuilding the Node Graph)

First tip : don't join a server via steam. Do it within the TF2 GUI.

Second : make sure your TF2 is up to date (maybe defrag the content files or reinstalling)

Defragging : in steam highlight TF2 click "properties" then "local files" then "defrag content"

this will solve any issues that may be caused by the GCFs where all the game data is saved...

if this fails then reinstall.

if that fails then... Ill need more info on your comp (graphics card, etc.)

good luck.

I'd like to report that this issue also occurs in the Half-Life games using Source, specifically episode 2, where I cannot get past the Rocket scene because the game crashes right after a certain line is mentioned. The models also go black and sometimes look jumbled or screwy, and this always precludes the crash.

My specs are:
MacbookPro5,3
Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT
CXG 8.1.4
Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Any response on this?

I had the exact same problem, set your graphics to the absolute minimum and run the game in direct x 8 or lower. There's just something about the rocket scene that drains the graphics resources. It took me at least 10 tries to get through that part of the game from crashes alone.

I have found that switching to 8.1.3 allows you to get past the rocket level, but it still crashes. Back to square one.

It has crashed for me in every version I've used since I first purchased crossover last year. Use the launch option -dxlevel 81 to put it in direct x 8.1 mode, or try anywhere as low as dxlevel 50. You only have to do this one time, and then it is set to that mode until you change it. I highly recommend you remove the launch option after the first launch, otherwise you will have to reset your video options every time. Once you have lowered your dxlevel with this launch option also make sure your graphics settings are bottomed out. This is almost guaranteed to prevent the crash.

Edit: Regarding Episode 2

Forrest M. wrote:

The crashes I have been experiencing are quite random really.
Although I find that other players voice chat can sometimes cause
this. The other tell tale sign is missing texture or texture that
look like scrambled letters.

After several hundred hours more of game play ,sigh I need a life, I have found that some of the most common causes of cashes are:

• Playing as the Spy. It seems to be some what random but on some maps, the spy and the map don't like each other, CP_Well in the water is one example.

• Playing as the Engineer. It is common to have crashes while playing the engineer, but it is quite random. But overall, the Engineer is commonly linked to crashes. the tell tale signs are missing or distorted textures. I have 3 pictures of crashes related to the engineer. Letter textures, and Sentry Mixed Textures, Shotgun, Shotgun, Shotgun.

• Sometimes, after taking a teleporter the game will crash. Has only happened a few times.

• Other player's voices.

• Connecting to certain servers will sometimes crash the game.

This are some of the common links to crashes that I have seen. My general rule of thumb is to repair permissions before you plan to play TF2 and after a crash.

If voice is a problem there is a console command to disable voice entirely.

Samuel Bell wrote:

If voice is a problem there is a console command to disable voice
entirely.

Although I enjoy talking to people on TF2, if I ever did need to disable voice, what is the console command?

voice_enable 0

(Disables Voice)

voice_enable 1

(Enables Voice)

You can speak with people in TF2? All people hear is static when I talk. And I have a creative labs card (sb16). Even when I do it in linux I have the same problems.

I've been to the alsa web site trying to get it working properly and checking out the ubuntu forums. I'm guessing there is something wrong with ubuntu or I'm simply doing it wrong.

I've tried 5 creative labs cards (all supported on the alsa matrix) and still unable to get the mic recording properly. I'm curious how you guys were able to manage this?

Thanks!

frank carreiro wrote:

You can speak with people in TF2? All people hear is static when I
talk. And I have a creative labs card (sb16). Even when I do it in
linux I have the same problems.

I've been to the alsa web site trying to get it working properly and
checking out the ubuntu forums. I'm guessing there is something
wrong with ubuntu or I'm simply doing it wrong.

I've tried 5 creative labs cards (all supported on the alsa matrix)
and still unable to get the mic recording properly. I'm curious how
you guys were able to manage this?

Thanks!

Submit a bug report to the CodeWeavers guys or start a new forum topic.

24" iMac (previous-gen ATI 4850)

TF2 crashing in CrossOver Games 8.1.4 when it may not have been previously -- my process:

• Created bottle in earlier version of CrossOver Games 8.x (8.0 or an RC beta)
  • Installed Steam
  • Installed Team Fortress 2
  • .. working fine for a year ..
  • Upgraded to CrossOver Games 8.1.4
  • Team Fortress 2 working fine (apart from horrible mouse lag ..) in CrossOver Games 8.1.4
  • Installed CoD MW:2, which did not work immediately
  • While following the advice of a thread regarding the new CoD:MW2 game (pixel-shader version error)
  • Created a new bottle in 8.1.4
  • Installed Steam
  • Copied the Steam app package files over (something that I have been doing since the first version of Steam with no ill-effects)
  • Installed CoD MW:2
  • Installed Team Fortress 2

TF2 now crashes seemingly randomly. Disabled/lowered visual settings, and the issue still occurs.

However, if I right-click "Quit" on the Steam icon or the CrossOver Games icon, I eventually get a steam DLL library error of some sort before it actually quits. This is likely just a side-effect of the manner in which TF2 immediately dies, but if it is caused by a corrupt pointer/memory location from something poking around, could that library call offer a starting point for investigation?

The problem feels like something that may have stemmed from a change in the bottle creation process/settings, of which it seemed there were many, between 8.0 and 8.1.4.

It would be interesting to note which of you have recently (8.1.4) created/re-created bottles vs earlier 8.0-created bottles.

Running through the enemy's sewer on ctf_doublecross (32 player server, nearly full) crashes .. almost instantly.

1 to 49 of 49

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNU5mZEs1VEM1bjJ1dGZXRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9