Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

FAQ for common issues with TF2 ( please try to read it before posting questions...)

Okay.. instead of searching through thousands of threads just to find a fix , i though i might just compile everything up here.
if there is anything i missed out , everyone is welcomed to add to it :D The more the better
Of course , if you think your issue is unique to you only , you are welcomed to post it on here to..
Okay..enough talk and i will start stating the issues

Before asking any questions ...it would be always good to ...
check your system is up to date.
Check your graphic card driver is up to date :)

IMPORTANT : ..We are not some amazing beings... ( okay ...the Codeweaver Staffs are ;) ..lol )
before posting any problems /issues , it would be good if you stated the following facts
1.your operating system
2.your hardware spec ..
3.What is the issue... :) ( obviously...lol )

Team Fortress 2 was appearing in Black & White after an update from Valve. This issue was fixed with CrossOver Games 10.2.1.

hm..

From the following threads :
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3379;forum=1;msg=51389
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3379;forum=1;msg=48288
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3379;forum=1;msg=51360

I gathered that Linux , Pulseaudio and CrossOver DOES NOT go well together

To run game like TF2 and counterstrike source ,
Note: if you dont have sudo , use su root but it is better is you use sudo anyway

for Debian based distros do run:
Sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio

For arch based Distros do run :
sudo pacman -R pulseaudio

For redhat ( yum and rpm )based distros do run
sudo yum erase pulseaudio

for mandriva (urpmi (rpm)) based distros do run
sudo urpme pulseaudio

Instead of me going through the extensive list of package managers , do find more info of packagemanagers at
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=package-management

After removing pulse audio , do remember to set your sound settings to ALSA or OSS ..or have no sound at all
This have to be done both in wine's setting and Linux's setting

For Linux Only : If your game refuses to start after you press launch game , it could be that you do not have direct rendering enabled
To check , run glxinfo in your terminal
A few reasons for this is that you have XGl running in your background .Please remove that as it hogs your video card and does not allow any other
driver to access it

The second reason is that your graphic card driver might not be installed .

There could be many other reasons .Please do help me to find out and list it out. Thanks

For both linux and mac : Your graphic card might be slightly underpowered to run Hl2 mod games therefore you might need to reduce the resolution
and graphic settings before you can play with an acceptable fps

Another thing for both Linux and mac users : If your game crashes upon loading finish a server , it could be a motd rendering bug ..Try installing Internet explorer 6 in your steam bottle . it might help

If you get weird graphic problems , do make sure compiz is disabled for full screen applications ..i myself do not run TF2 in fullscreen

Another reason Problem is that with the steam update of 10 June 2009, TF2 officially crashes winesever

For Linux users , if you get garbled fonts and so on..
Do remember to install msttcorefonts on your com ...it shud be easy for ubuntu and arch users... i never tried other distros much..so i cant say.
And also do try to install fonts into your steam bottle ..this applies to both mac and linux users ..
it might help .. i think

Now to reply some questions i found while browsing on the threads

Q. Is it possible to use steam in-game overlay?

Ans: Nope Not currently at least . As the In-game overlay actually injects processes which CrossOver is unable to handle

Q.Must it be only steam version game?

Ans: Well...Only the steam versions are officialy supported

Q. What is the default directx level when running Hl2 mod games ?

Ans: In Mac for TF2 , it is most probably direct x 8 due to many restrictions
For linux ...Its quite much up to you...just make your own tweaks and make sure your com can support it

Q: where are the bottle stored ? ( edited from the originally question as it was said in exasperation and frustration .)

Ans : For mac The CrossOver Bottle files are located at:
/Users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/Library/Application Support/CorssOver Games/Bottles

For Linux , it shud be most likely in /home/urusername/.cxgames

Q: In which version of CxGames is the memory leak for TF2 most likely to occur in?

Ans: Version 7.2 for both mac and linux. Please use Version7.2.2 as memoryleak is more or less contained in this version

Edit : Further improvements/ additions to the FAQ

When Crossover Pro is purchased , the license to use Crossover Games product is granted and given ..
Therefore ...Crossover Games is a totally separate from Crossover Pro...

Crossover Games is a separate download included with Pro - go
into your My Account->My Downloads area -- you can download it from
there -- you use the same username/password credentials to register
crossover-games as you use to register Pro...

useful materials to read up if you get CAudioSourceMemWave (xxx): GetDataPointer() failed error
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3379;forum=1;msg=48288;forumthreadcurPos=50

Phew...I just compiled the recent problems and issues ...if i have missed out any thing or said something wrongly .. do feel free to reply and tell me . I will edit this accordingly

Thank you so much
Cheers :)

Great Post!
I think some of this should definitely go under tips and tricks.
It's good that it's been marked as a sticky topic as well.

So, I used to play TF2 in crossover games and was more or less happy with it, but have since downloaded the custom crossover games build for star trek online, this works well for me but it means I can't play TF2. So, how hard would it be to get TF2 to run in Crossover Pro 9.0, especially with this new "recipes" thing?

Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iMac 27'' quad core i5 2.6 GHz

You can keep both versions (8.1.4 and 8.2.0) of CrossOver Games on your system. You can then launch the specific one appropriate for the game you wish to play. It's generally best to avoid having both running at the same time, though.

Samuel Johnson Stoever wrote:

So, I used to play TF2 in crossover games and was more or less happy
with it, but have since downloaded the custom crossover games build
for star trek online, this works well for me but it means I can't
play TF2. So, how hard would it be to get TF2 to run in Crossover
Pro 9.0, especially with this new "recipes" thing?

Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iMac 27'' quad core i5 2.6 GHz

Pro tip: wait a month for steam and tf2 to be released natively on mac and only use CXG for STO. :D

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRmROVWJRN251dGhNemJHUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9