Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

TF2 crashing

I'm pulling the hair out of my head

I've just purchased Crossover Pro and installed Steam and that works fine. Whenever I try to enter a match in TF2 everything is fine until 45 seconds later the audio loops and the screen goes black and closes. Any tips I try to fix this?

P.S. I'm playing it on the lowest possible visual setting 800x600 and its a pretty powerful Mac. If I try to raise the visual settings at all, the game crashes immediately

This is pretty common, how powerful is your mac?

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Also, every once in a while I get this error message: failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

I have a 2.93 ghz iMac, with an Nvidia GeForce 120 and I still have quite a few issues likes this. iMac's are really not very powerful, and even if Crossover were fixed would not run TF2 very well. Still eventually I hope they will get it to the level where it is at least stable. Have you tried using direct x 8.1? Edit: The big thing with iMacs is that they don't have good video cards, the 120 or 130 may sound good, but as lower and mid level they are actually not as good as the higher end range of the older cards. They are inferior to the 9800, 8800, and possibly even the 7800.

Sorry I'm a newbie whats x 8.1?

Direct X is the renderer that many video games, including Team Fortress 2 use. By setting it to an older version (8.1 instead of 9) you will lower the strain on your computer. In your list of steam games right click on Team Fortress 2 and choose properties. On the window that pops up click set launch options. Type -dxlevel 81 into this line. It will probably already say novid in the space. Keep this there and add a single space, followed by -dxlevel 81 this will look like:

novid -dxlevel 81

After this open up TF2, and set the graphics options to whatever setting you would like. Next time you launch the game delete the -dxlevel 81 from the line because you only need to use it once.

One of the biggest causes of crashes (in my personal experience anyways) is HDR rendering. If you turn this off you will have a better time.

I also recommend you turn Vsync (wait for vertical sync) on, as this helps use the frames that you do render quite well. If you use this option, type fps_max 60 into the console, to avoid rendering unnecessary frames.

Hope that helps, feel free to post again if anything is unclear.

just my two cents...but i also have recently got this error too..
CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

I realized that thee cause of my problem was due to the graphic card driver error ( i am using Nvidia 8400 GS )
As i was using 64 bit ....i didnt really configure the 32 bit driver properly for wine/Crossover to use ..

However , this error is not only wine/crossover specific ..
It does occur in Windows too..( though less often.. It occurs on window users who use lower end graphic cards like intel gma ..)
This error ( i presume ) happenes when wine /Crossover is unable to get full/ required amount access to your graphic card..

Therefore , it would be a good idea to check your graphic card driver is up to date...
Further more , if issue still occurs , it would be good to specify the actual amount vram your graphic card has ..
Specify it in the bottle's registery

Sam! wrote:

just my two cents...but i also have recently got this error too..
CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

I realized that thee cause of my problem was due to the graphic
card driver error ( i am using Nvidia 8400 GS )
As i was using 64 bit ....i didnt really configure the 32 bit driver
properly for wine/Crossover to use ..

However , this error is not only wine/crossover specific ..
It does occur in Windows too..( though less often.. It occurs on
window users who use lower end graphic cards like intel gma ..)
This error ( i presume ) happenes when wine /Crossover is unable to
get full/ required amount access to your graphic card..

Therefore , it would be a good idea to check your graphic card
driver is up to date...
Further more , if issue still occurs , it would be good to specify
the actual amount vram your graphic card has ..
Specify it in the bottle's registery

Hi,

Sam! is spot on the money here wrt this kind of error. If you do something like...;

http://www.hotbot.com/?query=CMeshDX8%3A%3ALockVertexBuffer&ps=&loc=searchbox&tab=web&mode=search&currProv=msn

..you will see just how prevalent this error is, and what various folks (mostly using
windows) have ended up doing to get around this bother. Going by what I've read, it'd
be hard to blame crossover/wine for this, and it doesn't look like any one solution is
a sure fix for all users encountering this even in windows -- that being that state of
play here, it looks more like a game bug, and that actual 'fix' may vary from person to
person, computer to computer...etc etc....with that in mind, the actual fix for your
situation may differ from what others have tried...

Do also note, that the latest round of Steam client updates, has broken/changed the way
some Steamapps are behaving.... http://store.steampowered.com/news/?filter=client ...
and such things may of course be related (hard to say without a copy of TF2 to check :)

With Sam!'s 2 cents worth, that makes 4 cents... 😎

Cheers!

Hayden Hart wrote:

I've just purchased Crossover Pro and installed Steam and that works
fine. Whenever I try to enter a match in TF2 everything is fine
until 45 seconds later the audio loops and the screen goes black and
closes. Any tips I try to fix this?

P.S. I'm playing it on the lowest possible visual setting 800x600
and its a pretty powerful Mac. If I try to raise the visual
settings at all, the game crashes immediately

I can't believe everyone has missed it so far. He said he installed "crossover Pro". He doesn't want crossover pro, he wants the latest crossover games. The memory issues and the "failedtolock" error were all issues that have been fixed in the latest CXG releases. But Sam is also correct with the buffer error.

Considering I have caught that error many times myself, I'm particularly surprised I missed it this time.

Stephen Scott wrote:

Hayden Hart wrote:

I've just purchased Crossover Pro and installed Steam and that
works
fine. Whenever I try to enter a match in TF2 everything is fine
until 45 seconds later the audio loops and the screen goes black
and
closes. Any tips I try to fix this?

P.S. I'm playing it on the lowest possible visual setting 800x600
and its a pretty powerful Mac. If I try to raise the visual
settings at all, the game crashes immediately

I can't believe everyone has missed it so far. He said he installed
"crossover Pro". He doesn't want crossover pro, he wants the latest
crossover games. The memory issues and the "failedtolock" error were
all issues that have been fixed in the latest CXG releases. But Sam
is also correct with the buffer error.

Hi,

Actually, that point did not go un-noticed by myself -- that said, I've seen
crossover-games hit this error (COG-8.1.4 is doing the same here now with another
title), and so changing to crossover-games may be the solution here, but it
can't be guaranteed....also, the fixes you mention were more specific to ATI cards
and the OP here hasn't yet indicated which videocard they have...

Cheers!

Thanks alot guys, turning the dx level to 81 improved my ttc (time till crash) to about 6 minutes. Just 2 things: How do i turn HDR rendering off and how do I turn Vsync on?

They are both located under the video settings.

Edit: On the main screen inside Team Fortress 2 click options, then choose the video tab, and click the advanced button. The choices should all be on the menu that appears.

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

fixes you mention were more specific to ATI cards
and the OP here hasn't yet indicated which videocard they have...

Cheers!

Do Macs ever come with Nvidia cards? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Hi,

Yes, they do :)

Cheers!

One more thing... When I bought Crossover Pro I thought it meant Crossover games was included in the whole thing. Is this true? Or do I now have to buy Crossover Games as well?

Hayden Hart wrote:

One more thing... When I bought Crossover Pro I thought it meant
Crossover games was included in the whole thing. Is this true? Or do
I now have to buy Crossover Games as well?

Hi,

Crossover Games is a separate download included with Pro - go
into your My Account->My Downloads area -- you can download it from
there -- you use the same username/password credentials to register
crossover-games as you use to register Pro...

Cheers!

Thanks

1 to 19 of 19

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRzN3d1FjRmQ4WlR0dExxSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9