Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Bad Steam connection

I'm using Crossover Games, and got steam working rather well. CS:S works flawlessly, and so does Portal. So I decided to go to the next game in my list: Team Fortress 2. I install it, and it starts up rather speedily, but then I go to look for servers...nothing shows up, no matter how many times I retry the refresh. So I go to the favorites and enter the IPs for The FISH [TF2] and [TF2 Stock]. I hit refresh, and these now turn out player numbers. [TF2] was on Badwater Basin, so I joined. It loaded, and immediately kicked me out for a bad steam connection. I tried again, and it let me play for about 5 minutes, and I get kicked again. Once more, and after 2 minutes.

I have no idea whats going on. I'm using a wired ethernet connection through a wireless router on a cable modem, my normal internet works, and CS:S's server browsing and stuff works fine. Whats up with TF2's?

Have you tried searching for servers outside of Team Fortress 2. i.e Directly from the Steam GUI?

checks

All games come up quickly and easily.
(I'm using Mac OS X, btw)

I have had this problem as well at times, and it usually spontaneously resolves itself after I fool around with the search filters and settings within TF2. If you figure out what causes it, let me know.

Crossposting, but it applies here too, so..

Just wanted to post and say that I too am having this issue. I recently did an erase/install on my iMac and loaded all my apps from scratch. Everything works fine until I try and pull up the server list. My favorites are still listed [I'm guessing they're tied to your Steam account], but the main server list refuses to populate and I get the "Refreshing Server List" text, regardless of settings/region/manually stopping and starting the search.

If your favorites are still listed it implies that not everything was completely deleted, because mine disappear anytime I do a full reinstall. Did you follow this guide? http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=404674;s_subject=mac;tscurPos=100

Just to let you know, I got it working. I let the server list from steam fully populate, and then loaded TF2. Server list came up, and I didn't get kicked from any games for a lost Steam connection...hmm.

Good to know, does it start not working again if you don't let steam make the list?

Not sure. I let it make the list that night you suggested it, but haven't tried 'rebuilding' it since...yet it worked this afternoon.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSFQyVWRiNllOSE5oeng3ViIsImdkcHIiOjB9