Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

TF2 freezing

I'm running TF2 on crossover games 8.

At 1280x720, the game runs very well (Dxlevel 81).
When I change the resolution to 1920x1058 (-w 1920 -h 1058), the game starts freezing up.
Once it freezes, it takes about a minute to unfreeze.

(1058 instead of 1080 because I'm running it on windowed mode, and I the top bar thing on OS X is 32(?)px.)

Oh, I'm running the latest version of leopard.

(I just tested tf2 at 1280x710, just incase it was the irregular resolution that caused the prob, but it ran fine.
so the freezing at 1080p is just a hardware limitation. (well, windows would run it fine on this hardware, but ...))

I have one nVidia 8800 GT card, at 512 mb.
Would buying a stronger graphics card, (say like the 9800GTX) stop tf2 from freezing at 1920x1058?

-Ryan

bump.

I don't think so, I run the game at 1900 by 1200 and it usually works pretty well, and my card is only an nvidia 120, which contrary to what one might think is not as powerful as the 8800. Also, if you are using a television as your monitor 1920 by 1080 would be the widescreen resolution, but for a widescreen computer monitor is would be 1900 by 1200. Widescreen computer monitors are not 16:9, they are usually closer to 16:10.

Samuel Bell wrote:

I don't think so, I run the game at 1900 by 1200 and it usually
works pretty well, and my card is only an nvidia 120, which contrary
to what one might think is not as powerful as the 8800. Also, if
you are using a television as your monitor 1920 by 1080 would be the
widescreen resolution, but for a widescreen computer monitor is
would be 1900 by 1200. Widescreen computer monitors are not 16:9,
they are usually closer to 16:10.

I'm using a HDTV, so it's 16:9.
:( do you run steam on a mac or on linux?

I'm playing on a mac. There seem to be alot of factors to do with these crashes that have not fully been isolated, there are people with much better hardware than mine that experience crashes, and ones with lower hardware with less crashes. Make sure you type fps_max 60 into your console, and turn on wait for vertical sync, this should help a bit. Also try lowering other graphics settings, HDR is one that causes alot of crashes.

Where is the 'console' in which i can set the max FPS and wait-for-vertical-sync?

The wait for vertical sync is under the advanced section of the video options. To access the console to enter the fps_max 60 command, press the ~ key. If you haven't enabled the console you can do so from the options menu, I think you can also use the -console launch option to enable the console.

I did everything you said.
I have some screen tearing at lower resolutions now.
I don't mind that, but 1920x1080 didn't work.

Hrm... If you can run this game at such a high res with lesser hardware, I should be able to run it at 1080p no problem, right?
Do you kill all your other processes before launching tf2?

You should have no problem running the game at 1080p, especially if your graphics settings are lower. I don't kill my other processes, in fact I often listen to music while playing. As for the tearing, enabling wait for vertical sync is supposed to improve tearing, not facilitate it.

Ah, I'm going to play around with the settings more and get back to you guys.

In the mean time, is there a way to have the tf2 game window behave properly with exposé?
I know that closing & re-opening the steam window fixes steam itself, but I can't seem to fix tf2.

-R

Anytime I've had TF2 minimize I have never been able to make it work again without quitting it.

One quick question:

Every time I start up team fortress, the video settings change back to the default (other than the resolution).
(For example, antialiasing will keep changing to x8 when I want it at bilinear.)

Is there a way to fix this?

-R

You have to remove the "-dxlevel XX" from the startup options. You only need to leave it in there for one launch, then it keeps that level of directX until changed.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ0JQWmM5ZjU4Zkt0NjJzUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9