Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Performance issues...

Lately I've been having performance issues in crossover games on TF2.
I used to play the game a lot. Then uninstalled crossover games. TF2 ran perfectly at that time.
Now i can't play TF2 as well and it just seems really choppy.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I'm pretty sure Steam changed something which is causing it. For the last couple of days, I;m having the same problem - usually after a few minutes of play, everything lags tremendously, down to a couple fps.
It didn't do this a week ago.
I'm gonna see if they haven't fixed it in the 9.1 beta.
edit: I just played for a little while, looks like its fixed.
I sure hope the beta becomes public soon, but as soon as it does, there's your solution.

Seconding the original poster's problem, and hoping 9.1 comes out soon.

RobbieThe1st wrote:

edit: I just played for a little while, looks like its fixed.
I sure hope the beta becomes public soon, but as soon as it does,
there's your solution.

Did you play the exact same map for the same amount of time? I imagine if you retest, you'll find the beta contains the same problems. Please report beta results in the beta section and not on the forums. Many thanks in advance.

After extensive testing, I have found that you are more or less right - It -seems- to improve the amount of time before it happens; often a full game will pass before it happens now), but it does still have the problem.

So, those of you who got linked to this topic from the Wine BugZilla page: No, its not solved, I made an error.

Judging frmo that WineHQ thread...any fix for this is going to come from the kernel, not wine. Anyone else feel like rewriting ptrace()?

Actually, a more useful question - is anyone seeing this issue on RedHat? From some searches tonight I think RedHat is using a ptrace rewrite already...

@Mr Cab -- are you referencing winebug 23578 ??

Yes

Time for yet another overly hopeful post...

I added the -gl switch to my game and that didn't appear to do anything, however I didn't turn it off so I'm leaving it in this post.

I then switched to Beta 3 and the lag also remained

I then allowed Steam to run its Beta version and it appears to be working thus far. Couple of hours in 2 sessions now, no lag yet. Anyone else?

Yep, seems to hold true here as well....

...make sure to file a beta report on it tho' 8)

I'm not sure if I have access for that honestly. I'll take a look though. Either way, I believe this is the Steam Beta at work, not Beta 3. I leave speculation beyond that to people more familiar with the project than I :)

I've been playing for a while this morning with just 9.0, not Beta 3, but still with the Steam Beta. It appears to be working fine.

Never mind all that. It's just taking a whole hour to start lagging now. Just like the other guys :\

The other observation I've been making with this problem is that it is less devestating immediately after a restart. I've been restarting my machine a lot lately while playing with ptrace. After having the machine on for a long time though, the choppiness in TF2 becomes significantly more noticible. Without doing extra tracing work to see what is actually happening with PTrace, I guess it's examining the entirety of memory? Either that, or the lack of memory immediately available after a few hours of being powered on makes it difficult to do Valve's check.

I think the solution here lies with ptrace - either make a better system call to use instead of ptrace, or re-architect a whole lot of wine to be able to avoid that system call. Now if only either of those was an easy task...

Bug Thread - http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23578
Patch attachment in question - http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=29724

The WineHQ thread for this bug has a patch that seems to be working for people to avoid the ptrace call. I guess now I know not to rely on "less" to come back with an accurate representation of what's inside "/proc/###/mem".

Sorry if this is dumb, but how do I apply the patch?

It's possible, but way more involved than you probably want to get into. Don't worry, we are very close to releasing CrossOver Games 9.1 and it will include this patch.

1 to 17 of 17

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZnQ1M1VTUHBuWG1teXRKeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9