Terraria Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I got it working!

OK, I didn't figure this out on my own, but I was able to adapt the instructions here to work with Crossover.

In a nutshell, set up a new bottle and install Steam like you normally would. Then log into Steam and install Terraria. Try to launch Terraria (it will fail).

Next download Mono 2.10 and Mono 2.8 and install them into the same bottle that you just installed Steam into.

Next, under Programs, Run Command... and run regedit.exe in your Steam bottle. Find and delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4".

After that's done, download the .NET v4 installer from here, and run the installer in your Steam bottle. You will have to run it more than once because it will fail the first couple of times. Just keep running it until it gives you the option to repair, then cancel. After that's done, copy the .NET 4 files to the Terraria folder. You'll find them in your bottle under /drive_c/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/. Copy the contents of that folder to drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/terraria.

If all's gone well, you should be able to launch Terraria through Steam. You will probably get an error when you do, but just OK it and WAIT. It look almost 2 minutes the first time for Terraria to launch for me, but after that seems fine. Both single player and multiplayer have been working great!

Thanks for the instructions!

This is probably what happens:

1. The Mono installations fulfill in some way .Net 4's need for previous .Nets.
  2. The brute force installation/repair of .Net 4 does not actually "install" in the full Windows sense, but it does extract all the contents.
  3. Because of point #2, Terraria can't "see" .Net 4 unless it's copied into Terraria's folder.

All things considered, this is not too bad. I'm eager to try this with other .Net 4 games (Cthulhu Saves the World, Capsized, Chime, etc.), once I have the time.

Edit: I wonder if attempting to run Terraria at the beginning can be skipped ...

• added Terraria to the add support for .NET 4.0 bug

Has anyone else tried this?
I love this game and would happily shell out to play it through steam on my mac.

Any chance we could get some screenshots etc

thanks

I just made an account real quick to say that, after following the above directions to a T, I've just wrapped up my first ever Terraria marathon. Works great for me, thanks! :)

I'll try and get some screenshots for CrossOver 11.2.2 for Mac by tonight.
I might make a CrossTie if I find the time, I'm kinda busy with the external exams a the mo... :3

Sorry for that but WTF is this shit? When i starting terraria:
Unhandled exception: 0xe0434352 in 32-bit code (0x7b83b622)
😕

Ubuntu 12.10
[EDIT]

When i install XNA framework 4 all is working fine! thx 😎

I had to do the following to make Terraria run under CrossOver 12.1.0 on Mac OS 10.8.2:

1. Install Terraria's dependencies using its CrossTie profile.

2. Don't log into Steam when the "Steam log in" window is opened. Instead, choose "configure", "manage bottles" from the menu bar, select the "Steam" bottle, open the "applications" tab, select "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0", and then press "repair or remove".

3. Press "next" and then complete the repair process normally. The installer will state that the repair failed, but this is irrelevant.

4. Press "finish" and then "don't send".

5. Log in to Steam and then install Terraria.

The crucial step is to repair the .NET Framework 4.0 installation before installing the XNA Framework in Steam. if you don't do this, then the following errors will occur when you attempt to open Terraria:

err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Terraria\\Terraria.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Terraria\\Terraria.exe" failed, status c0000135

Terraria ran very well during the short period I spent testing it. Surprisingly, multiplayer mode works fine.

Your solution works for me except, It disables my second monitor when I launch Terraria in fullscreen. And I have to manually re-enable it in Catalyst Control Center.

I don't expect you to help me solve this. I just thought that I should mention it.

Richard, thanks for sharing your process. It's actually consistent with how some people were running Terraria before .net4 was officially semi-supported :)

Totally worked, as directed.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

As of CrossOver 12.2.2, no special steps are required to install Terraria. However, one of CrossOver's child processes seems to become stuck in an infinite loop when Steam is automatically opened after being installed. You can work around this problem by simply closing and then reopening Steam.

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV1Bha0NWY2U4QzNUZUZSZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9