Terraria Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Creating A LAN Server

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have tried very hard to set up a server but nothing works. I tried the making one through multiplayer but it messes up and says an error occurred. I tried the TShock way but it gets stuck at "connecting to server". I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if it is even my fault...? I really just wanna play with friends on my local network and this is getting really annoying. Does anyone have a quick and easy server set up guide for mac? Any help at all is appreciated.

Noah wrote:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have tried
very hard to set up a server but nothing works. I tried the making
one through multiplayer but it messes up and says an error occurred.
I tried the TShock way but it gets stuck at "connecting to server".
I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if it is even my fault...? I
really just wanna play with friends on my local network and this is
getting really annoying. Does anyone have a quick and easy server
set up guide for mac? Any help at all is appreciated.

Heya Noah,

I'm an ex-TShock server developer, but my MBP is currently undergoing repairs so I'll try and give you the gist of how I worked around it.

I think TShock requires the CMD responses so what I did was run CMD then I 'cd' (change directory) to the location of the TShock main executive file before running the file via ../TShock.exe and this should start the server. If it's local LAN, then you don't need to worry about port forwarding etc. All you need to do is point each cilent towards the local IP of your computer plus port and it should connect.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

TShock seems to work fine with Terraria for me. Granted I'm on Linux but I set up a VM to check things. I cloned a base install of Ubuntu 14.04 server, installed mono, downloaded TShock, unzipped and ran it with mono TShock.exe.

This tutorial looks good to me:

http://tshock.co/xf/index.php?threads/installing-tshock-on-mac-os-x-its-possible.2110/

If you're on LAN then you don't need to worry about forwarding ports, but you do need to check that your firewall is not blocking inbound connections to whatever port you set TShock to listen on. (default is 7777)

Hey guys thank you for your help! I found the problem, I was just not doing the port thing right! Thanks! 😊

Ok so I set up the server I can join. But how do I get people on from the local wifi network?

I don't know, you let them know?

Ok one last thing, whenever I close the Terminal window the server stops right? So how do I start it again after that? Do I have to make a new server or is there a way to run it again? Please help.

I don't understand. How did you run it in the first place and why can't you do the same thing again, bar the parts where you install mono and unpack TShock? The steps are:

1) you open a terminal window
2) use the cd command to change directory to where you unpacked the server
3) start it with "mono TerrariaServer.exe" or "/full/path/to/mono TerrariaServer.exe"

Oh, I always thought it was trying to set up a new server, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the help. 😊

Noah wrote:

Ok so I set up the server I can join. But how do I get people on
from the local wifi network?

Tell the other players to choose to join a server in Terraria and then enter your LAN IP address. To ascertain your LAN IP address, do the following:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Choose Network.
  3. Select Wi-Fi in the list of interfaces on the left.

Your LAN IP address will be stated in the Status field on the right side of the window.

Noah wrote:

Ok one last thing, whenever I close the Terminal window the server
stops right? So how do I start it again after that? Do I have to
make a new server or is there a way to run it again? Please help.

Yes, the server will be stopped if you close its Terminal window, but stopping the server in this manner will probably cause you to lose any unsaved data. The correct way of stopping the server is to enter "exit" into its console.

I've created a script that enables you to conveniently start TShock with the appropriate resource limits set. To use the script, do the following:

Note: The word "this" in step 3 is a link.

1. Create the folder ~/Applications/TShock (where the tilde represents the path to your home folder).
  2. Move the contents of your TShock folder into the folder you created in the previous step. (The file TerrariaServer.exe should be located in ~/Applications/TShock, not in a subfolder of that folder.)
  3. Download this file and then extract its contents.
  4. Open the extracted file (named Start TShock.command).

In the future, simply repeat step 4 of the instructions whenever you want to start TShock.

I've created a short but complete guide to running TShock on OS X. (TShock is a third-party Terraria server that can be run under Mono.)

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRkJWRnFSeVVHdGdYNmZ0cyIsImdkcHIiOjB9