The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

'render creation error: "" ' after launching the game in windowed mode

I'm getting the aforementioned
Render Creation Error: ""

...after trying to start Morrowind (GOTY edition). I am going through the launcher, because full-screen isn't working well for me with any games. I've got one of the newer mac minis with dual-display, and the only other game I installed (guild wars) doesn't like running fullscreen, I just get two black monitors and have to alt-apple-R to get things back.

So I use "run command" to find the Morrowind launcher to select windowed mode, leaving the other settings the same. Then I click "play" and it gives me that error. I've tried installing the game into win98, win2000, and winxp bottles. All have had the same result. This error occurs right after executing Morrowind.exe, before anything shows up at all...no menus, no graphics, no sounds. I don't get anything.

Has anyone else seen this?

I get this from the Steam GoTY edition too when I try to run it in Windowed mode. I don't know how to fix it, but I do know that this happens on real Windows as well, if the game disagrees with the graphics settings. If changing your resolution/bit depth/number of connected display isn't possible or won't help, running in full screen may be your only option.

If your problems with full screen are mostly tied to Morrowind only offering the wrong resolutions, you can change the resolution the game runs in to any arbitrary resolution with regedit. Just hit Run Command, fire up regedit, and use its search functionality to locate Morrowind's registry entries. Look for keys named Screen Width and Screen Height and make sure to switch to decimal mode when entering new values. The game should run in almost any sensible resolution that way. I use this to run it in the native resolution of my Macbook's display.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaHRUWDhGeG1XcVlWTHpGQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9