The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How do I get to Windowed Mode and/or Fix a Problem

Well...

When I run Morrowind it goes directly to full screen. A tun of you say you run the game without a problem, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and I think it might be cuz I'm in full screen. Basically what happens is that I lose control of the arrow. I no longer am able to move the arrow on the screen, but the game doesn't freeze. After a while, the normal arrow that I use on my mac separates from the arrow I use in morrowind (meaning the black arrow on my mac home screen appears while leaving the golden arrow of morrowind stationary) and I can move it, but I am unable to click back into the game and take back control of the morrowind arrow.

I'm sure that didn't make much sense.

Anyways, if none of you know how to fix that problem, can someone tell me how to get to the windowed mode so I can atleast click out of morrowind when it fails instead of having to shut down my entire mac?

I don't have a fix for the problem, but can provide help for recovering when it happens.

First, you shouldn't have to shut down your Mac. If a game gets stuck while CrossOver is in full-screen mode, you can type Command-Option-R to force CrossOver out of full-screen mode. That's the keyboard shortcut for the Restore Display item of CrossOver's Window menu.

Once you've done that, you should be able to access CrossOver's Manage Bottles window. You can launch the taskmgr (Task Manager) control panel and terminate the Morrowind process. Alternatively, you should be able to use the Quit Bottle (or Force Quit Bottle) button(s) to terminate all processes running in that bottle.

Failing that, you should be able to quit CrossOver with Command-Q. If even that fails, you can Force Quit CrossOver by typing Command-Option-Escape followed by Return. That last is a feature of Mac OS X and can be used to kill any unresponsive app.

In rare cases, CrossOver can trigger a bug in the Mac's Window Server or graphics drivers. In that case, your whole GUI locks up permanently and none of the above will work. (When the Force Quit combination, Command-Option-Escape, fails, that's a sure sign that something fundamental in the system is hosed.)

Hi Vicky

My version of Morrowind is running on a 2006 Intel Mac running Leopard in an XP bottle. I usually keep one bottle per game.

The set up I have at the moment may be of help. The other applications I have running in my Morrowind bottle are:

Crossover HTML engine
Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable
Morrowind
TES Construction set

In the winecfg of the control panel I have set up a Morrowind application as a Windows XP version. In the associated Graphics tab the only boxes I have ticked are the 'Emulate a virtual desktop' with the Desktop size set to 1024 X 768, and the 'Allow Pixel Shader'.

This appears to allow Morrowind to run in a Window (although it fills the screen) and I do not have any issues with the pointer.

I have installed both Tribunal and Bloodmoon (plus a load of mods) and therefore run Morrowind using the Morrowind Launcher. To get the latter to run and appear in the program menu carry out the following:

From the menu Program take the option to Run Command.
Select the Morrowind bottle and press the Browse button.
My path for the launcher was drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind/Morrowind Launcher.exe
Click once on Morrowind Launcher and press the Open button
Now press the button 'Save Command to Programs Menu'
Morrowind Launcher now appears in the Programs Menu and can be started from there.

Hope this is of some help.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNnhQYjY5cHNwWkNMOEJFbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9