The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Launcher menu not coming up

I've been using CXG for Morrowind for the last few months, and for the most part it works great. However, whenever I try to open morrowind launcher.exe, it automatically launches the game, without giving me any way to manage settings or mods. I'm currently using 9.1.0.

I had this problem with 8.1.4, but I could bring up the menu by manually launching it from the run command option. However, saving the command and running it would simply launch the game.

Is there some way to fix this? I like using mods, but it's annoying to switch back to 8.4.1 whenever I want to disable one.

For the record, I'm running this on a Macbook pro with OSX 5.8 rather than 6.4.

Please help, this is a serious problem. I've upgraded to both MacOS 6.4, and the new 10.0 crossover, but the game still just goes straight to the game. It's very annoying having to downgrade to 8.4 or whatever just to install mods. The game runs fine otherwise.

If anybody know what's causing this, I'd really appreciate the help.

I have no idea what might be causing that, but have you tried creating a new bottle and installing Morrowind from scratch? If the new bottle works, you could just copy your mods and saves over from the old one.

Tried installing into a new bottle, still had the same problems. Even on version 8, I still had to use run command in order to open the launcher. I should probably note I do not have this problem with Oblivion on Steam, so it may be an issue with the disk-based version.

Interesting! I just installed Morrowind into CrossOver Games 10.1 (from my GotY disks), and I get the same behavior as you do, if I run "Morrowind Launcher.exe" from the "Run Command" dialog box. If, on the other hand, I click on the "Open C: Drive in Finder" button (in the "Advanced" tab of the "Manage Bottles" dialog), and double-click the "Morrowind Launcher.exe" icon from there, it appears to work correctly. Dunno what the difference is between the two...

Update: I think I've figured it out. CrossOver's "Run Command" is apparently getting confused by the names of the Morrowind.exe and Morrowind Launcher.exe executables. (Possibly due to their length, or the space in "Morrowind Launcher"?) I went ahead and renamed "Morrowind Launcher.exe" to "blah.exe", and tried using "Run Command" on that, and it worked just fine.

Maybe this is an issue to be fixed in CrossOver? (Particularly if it didn't occur back in version 8.)

Yeah, sounds like a CrossOver bug. Good catch! I'll enter it into our bug tracker.

Cool, thanks!

Thanks guys! I just re-reinstalled into a fresh new bottle, renamed the launcher file and it worked. Although I've had some freezing issues whenever I try to change the controls or switch to windowed, the game has been running great otherwise. (Runs even better on my 2008 macbook then it did on my family's old windows machine in fact!)

Dane Petersen wrote:

(Runs even better on my 2008 macbook then it did on my family's old
windows machine in fact!)

Yeah, my Mac Mini has the game running at 1600x1200 with all the graphics settings maxxed, with no trouble at all so far. First time I've ever been able to do that with the game. (Then again, it has been a long time since I last played this game. :) )

Hello. I've been having the same problem. I'm using CrossOver 10.0.1 and CrossOver Games 9.2.0

I followed what was laid out on this thread. Renamed "Morrowind Launcher .exe" to "blah.exe", clicked on "Open C: Drive in Finder", opened "blah.exe" with CrossOver, ran the command, and it told me it returned 53. Trying to open with CrossOver Games does nothing. Retried a few times, but no success.

I completely failed at finding out what "returned 53" means, so any input as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

John wrote:

I followed what was laid out on this thread. Renamed "Morrowind
Launcher .exe" to "blah.exe", clicked on "Open C: Drive in Finder",
opened "blah.exe" with CrossOver, ran the command, and it told me it
returned 53. Trying to open with CrossOver Games does nothing.

Well, actually, I didn't mean to say that renaming "Morrowind Launcher" to "blah" was really a fix for the problem. :) Moreover, neither Dane nor I had any problem actually getting the game up and running, regardless of whether Morrowind.exe or Morrowind Launcher.exe was used; we were just having a problem with CrossOver choosing one executable rather than the other.

Can I ask, did you install Morrowind from CDs, or using Steam? Also, what sort of a machine are you running on? (In particular, the type of graphics card you have could be useful.)

Essentially CDs. Back when I first got them, I was worried about a younger sibling damaging the CDs, so I used Toast to make iso files. Long story short, the CDs are no more.

I'm using an iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

And yeah, sorry, I should have been more specific. The game runs fine, and I also get the freezing when trying to remap controls. It is just simply the launcher.

Hmm. Regardless of whether you change the name or not, double-clicking the icon for the "Morrowind Launcher.exe" executable from a Finder window should work...

I don't think there should be any problem running Morrowind on your hardware.

I guess the next thing I would try is installing the game from a set of the original CDs (or from Steam), to rule out a problem with your ISOs. You can still find it on the shelves in major stores (I saw the Morrowind GotY box in my local Best Buy just a couple of weeks ago), and in my opinion, this game is certainly good enough to be worth buying a second copy if you lose your first one...

I'll agree about it being worth it. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the help :)

UPDATE: Yep, that was it. Got a copy from the local BestBuy and that was all I needed. Thank you again.

Great! Enjoy your trip to the land of the dark elves. :) (My own little Argonian spellcaster has just returned from clearing out a den of thieves east of Caldera, and is preparing himself next for an excursion into some Dwemer ruins... :) )

Sorry, last bit. I wasn't happy with just giving up and starting over, so I retried everything before. I found out that if all else fails, you can use the "Install Software..." command and install "Morrowind Launcher.exe" into whatever bottle Morrowind is installed in to successfully start the launcher. This has to be done every time you want the launcher to open, but you can successfully start the game from the launcher as well as activate any mods.

Another method I've discovered is that if you are using Morrowind Script Extender (MWSE), it recognizes the Morrowind Launcher.exe as is and launches it properly. Also, my mistake earlier was that I was using CrossOver with a Win 2000 bottle to "Run Command..." instead of using CrossOver Games with my Morrowind bottle.

1 to 17 of 17

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOWJzeFo5aE1IeWZVaDJQUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9