The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installs but doesn't play

After a bit of faffing I've managed to get Skyrim to install from the DVD, register with steam, and install all the MS bits. I can then set the video mode and launch the program, but can't get into the game itself. I experience the same problem in windowed or fullscreen, with our without virtual desktop, with the recommended video settings or the lowest possible:

I launch SkyrimLauncher.exe, and see the Bethesda splash. I get the main menu, click New and press Enter to start a new game. I see a statue of a dragon with some SFX and a quote from "Song of Dragonborn". The screen flickers briefly, the quote then changes to something about duel-weilding weapons, and the game freezes or crashes.

Does anyone have any pointers for getting past this stage and into the game itself?

Many Thanks
Mark

Hi...

...perhaps some of the clues over at winehq might help (specifically
the bits about lowering graphics settings for shadows&textures)..see;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=24749

Cheers!

Thanks Don,

I ended up using WINE 1.3.35 with a few tricks suggested on AppDB, now running without problems.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZVk0VnNkUHFQVmVBeFk0ZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9