The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

MAC OSX LION DOES NOT WORK!

launches, detects hardware, goes to title screen where there should be: new game, continue game, etc. but there are not any of those options. when i hit enter the game makes a yelling noise and then crashes. (funny but not good)
this game works with the cider wrapper but not in crossover. running steam version in a windows xp bottle.
osx lion 10.7.2 ati 6750m 4gb ram

The main question is - how did you install Skyrim? Did you follow the "Install Skyrim in Crossover using the Crosstie File" instruction at this page, exactly?

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=9766;tips=1

Or did you installation deviate from this in some way? I see you're using Cider, as well - did you install the game using Cider and are now trying to run it in Crossover? Also, are you using Crossover Games 10.3, or an earlier version?

I had the same problem as you but I got it to work by changing some of the settings from the launcher screen. I have a 27" imac so I set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and the resolution to 1920x1080. I've had success runningthe game at 'high' settings with the exception of high shadows (under the advanced menu). Medium shadows I can see the menu items you are missing. But higher than that and I can't.
One thing that I don't understand is way my graphics card is not selectable. The only option available to me is ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics. Whereas my actual card is ADM Radeon HD 6970M. I wonder if that has anything to do with the limitations/bugs/crashes I've experienced.
Another thing is that while I did follow the crosstie install guide, I blew the last step where (Steam) re-installs DirectX and .net for a second time. It was taking so long with no progress bar movement that I thought it had crashed so I aborted. I suspect maybe this is related to my problems as well. But I don't know how to restart that process. Anybody?

I think the incorrectly detected card is because Skyrim doesn't know anything about Mac/Linux drivers, and so makes its best guess based on the output it sees, and is always wrong.

The limitations you're experiencing are almost certainly more of the same - Skyrim (and games like it) pass a lot of very complex d3d code that we translate to openGL and feed to the driver. Some drivers have better openGL support than others, and unlike native apps which can adjust to dropped/unavailable openGL extensions, when extensions fed by Crossover are dropped or unhandled by your driver, Skyrim doesn't know how to deal with the feedback and the end result is more instability/glitches/etc.

The fact that you can play Skyrim, at all, implies that cancelling the re-install of DirectX and .NET didn't really do any harm. In my own testing when I've cancelled these steps out of impatience the game just didn't launch. I'm honestly not sure about how to force those installs, again, short of blowing away the game files in steam and re-installing (which of course will take forever).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRnJRUE1hdVBXNHhCNTM3SyIsImdkcHIiOjB9