The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Skyrim can't trap mouse pointer

Has anyone else encountered a problem where Skyrim fails to trap the mouse pointer? This manifests as an inability to turn beyond a small range of view since the mouse hits the edge of the screen. Interestingly, in menus Skyrim does trap the mouse pointer. I've played with some registry settings but haven't yet managed to find a fix that works. Any thoughts?

(CrossOver 11rc1, Mac OS X 10.6.8 though I've heard this affects Lion as well).

I also am having this problem. The only "solution" I've found so far is to hit escape to open the menu, move your pointer to the other side of the screen, then hit escape again to close the menu. This doesn't increase your range, it just makes it so that you can go that same range, but keep going. To turn in a full circle, you would need to do this 4-5 times ☹️

Open up the winecfg of the bottle you are running Skyrim in and try checking the "Allow the window manager to control windows" option. This will usually solve like issues. There is also a second option that says "Capture the mouse in full-screen" or something similiar. Might want to give that one a try as well.

I'm having the same problem. I've changed the resolution, settings, and messed with Wine Configurations. Nothing working. Hope someone finds an answer.

Me again. Alright, so, I first installed Skyrim into Crossover XI using the Crosstie. I had to install .NET Framework 3.0 manually, don't know why. Everything installed fine, though. I started the game and, of course, had the camera problem. Today I decided to install it manually into Crossover Games v1.2.1 (I left it on my computer after installing the new Crossover). It works fine there. I don't know what the difference is, but I have full 360 degrees of movement.

Hi, i also have this issue with crossover 11 on mac os x lion, no regedit trick worked, i only have 45 degrees of view in any direction. Hope some update will fix it...

Same issue for me as well. Worked fine in crossover linux 10.2; but not 11.

Moving just 30 degrees at a time makes the game unplayable.

My mouse is all over the place.. The Y access just make me spin in place..

Arch 64
Nvidia 460 GTX
i5-2400
16g ram

I didn't have a problem using wine 1.3.x. I read that someone cleaned all the fixes out of the mouse code, so that's probably the problem.

Game is unplayable.

Sketchie wrote:

My mouse is all over the place.. The Y access just make me spin in
place..

Arch 64
Nvidia 460 GTX
i5-2400
16g ram

I didn't have a problem using wine 1.3.x. I read that someone
cleaned all the fixes out of the mouse code, so that's probably the
problem.

Game is unplayable.

Identical problem, also on Arch64.

If one wanted to use the debug log, is there something that we can request to get something specific on the mouse? None of the debug options are obvious if I'm hunting mouse problems.

...not entirely sure this is the same issue, but, it does
example the debug channels you need to snoop...

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30123

.. what is described here, could easily be window-manager
related too (or some 'desktop effect' you may have running)...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those out later. If I can find a solution with the info in the link, i'll be really proud of myself.

One thing is for sure, there's no desktop effect involved as I have none. While working, I have 4 screens with xinerama which negates any compositing on the desktop. So when I game with another single-screen configuration, I don't take the time to activate anything.

I figure it must a be "latest and greatest" thing with Arch being a rolling release.

Didn't do a thing myself but some update on Arch made Skyrim runs fine now. There has been a few 32bit libraries update, but I didn't take notice which ones. Would it help anyone if I tried to figure out which librairies? Is it an effort worth my time?

Yes, it could be helpful.
I've a similar problem with the mouse.
The mouse works on 180° with crossover mac 11.2 , but I've no problems with the old crossover-games.

My point of interest is to update the software.

Thanks for hints.

Test with version 11.03.
Completely new installation in a new bottle.
Positv is a better graphic and less time to startup.

But mouse controls between 90 degree. Game is unplayable.

Having the same problem with CX 11.0.2 on my Mac. I saw the post above about it working fine with CXG 10.2, so i reinstalled that and the mouse works fine. Seems like a regression to me.

Crossover Games 10.3 was the version we first had Skyrim working in on both Mac & Linux and you can downgrade to that if you need by going to My Downloads, Archived Downloads tab.

On the Mac we've been adding the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectInput\MouseWarpOverride=force_edge to capture the mouse but we didn't need this on Linux because Linux was using the new xinput2 system which did fine capturing the mouse. Unfortunately in Crossover 11.0 some other patches broke xinput2 and mouse behavior went back to being crap. Adding the registry key on Linux may make it better, and we're working on getting xinput2 working again. The Mac has no xinput2 system so it's stuck with the registry key hack until we have a native Quartz driver for Crossover Mac.

I misunderstood our bugs call. Turns out xinput2 is ok, it's X server 1.11 that has busted mouse input which has been fixed in X server 1.12. The regkey won't help, X needs to be updated.

Thanks for the update. Any chance of an ETA for when we can expect a fix?

Sorry for the time from my last post, but yeah it seems X is what got updated on my system. Since then, Skyrim is playable. What other librairies got an update, none were really related to mouse problems.

For once, being on the bleeding edge with Arch actually "fixed" something...

Jason Cooper wrote:

Thanks for the update. Any chance of an ETA for when we can expect a
fix?

For Linux, it depends on when your distro gets the xserver update. For the Mac... that is a different problem altogether.

Caron Wills wrote:

Jason Cooper wrote:

Thanks for the update. Any chance of an ETA for when
we can expect a fix?

For Linux, it depends on when your distro gets the xserver update.
For the Mac... that is a different problem altogether.

For the Mac when will be fixed?

As Mr. Balfour mentioned above, true improvements to mouse handling on the Mac are non-trivial. We earnestly hope they will be available in the next generation of CrossOver, e.g., 12.x, (or whatever number comes after 'XI'), but they are not easy.

In the meantime, the registry hack - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectInput\MouseWarpOverride=force_edge - is what the Mac needs, & it's the best we've got there for now.

I'm also having this issue in 11.0.3 for Mac. I've checked the registry entry mentioned above and it had the correct value already. I'm guessing that since that's not working, I currently won't be able to get it working with CrossOver XI?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectInput\MouseWarpOverride=force_edge was already set changing it doesn't change anything for me. crossover games 10.3 running on my macbook pro works fine using a copy of my macpro crossover 11 bottle...

Has anyone found a fix for the problem having to do with the mouse rotation? I don't have a previously downloaded version of crossfire games and it is discontinued on the website. I have searched all over the web for a solution and can't find any fix. I have about 180 degrees of visibility but that's it. Any help would be really appreciated.

1 to 25 of 25

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVjhjZmRyQ1htVXF4cE5NQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9