The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Video Stutters

I have ia32-crossover_11.3.1-1_amd64.deb inside Debian 6.0.3 in a i5-3570K, with a Radeon 7970 and 32 GB of DDR3 RAM. I also have 3 screens (1080p TN panels). I am using AMD's catalyst proprietary driver (the latest stable one, 12.10).

I can play Skyrim in a Windows 7 partition with everything maxed out, with no problems. Using "Flawless Widescreen" to get a proper 3-screen setting is also ok.

I am trying to get Skyrim to be playable in crossover, and even when putting the graphical options in the minimal setting, the game stutters considerably, when moving the mouse and / or the character.
One thing of note is: if I keep the view point stable, that is, if I don't move the mouse and don't hit any of the WASD keys, the game plays beautifully, even when there is a lot going on the screen, and even with the graphical options turned to the Medium preset.

This happens when using a single screen (as set using xrandr). Whenever I start the game and have 3 screens up, it switches to a single screen (one of my side panels, which is irritating, so I just set my central panel as the only one set, and fire up the game, and it is fine).

I have installed using the tie file, and have tried changing the MouseWarpOverride registry to enable, force_enable, disable, force_disable, edge, force_edge, with no apparent effect.

Since the mouse tweaks didn't work, and the graphics seem fine when not interacting, I am stumped. Has someone had this issue, and how did you fix it? I would say that the game as it is for me is "masochistically playable". :)

I forgot to add an important detail: if I move the mouse slowly, there is no stutter. But after a certain threshold speed, the image stutters, and it does so in certain "intervals". I think that what happens is that I hit some kind of buffer limit, and that makes me lose some frames, and then the games refreshes ok, but if I keep moving, the buffer fills up again, and the game stutters again, and so on.

Another thing I notice is that the image seems to "jiggle" during the stutter. I am not 100% sure if this is not some optical illusion, but I think that every time the stutter happens, the image is moved slightly back, in the opposite direction than I was moving the mouse. So it seems as if someone has jiggled the mouse at some point. (This is why I tried to tweak the mouse registry settings).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZWc4QzlYTUJ6dDlXdnY0VSIsImdkcHIiOjB9