The Master Genealogist 7 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

TMG V7 (The Master Genealogist V7) runs well in Crossover 7

TO install TMG7 v704 in Crossover v7.1.0 in WinXP bottle

This was all done with Ubuntu Hardy v8.04 and is working on a regular PC and an Acer Travelmate 3004.
Everything seems to operate OK and it is satisfying to see that contextual help is working: not so in wine yet. Well done crossover team.
This owes much to Nathan N who worked this out for wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10500&iTestingId=23660
Note that there are a few additions that I have suggested so read his and mine about using WINEPREFIX.

Note that the installation in Crossover is different to the latest verions of wine (c 1.1.15) because the former is based on an earlier version of wine.

Download trial version of TMG v7.04 from here:
http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe
http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7uksetup.exe for UK version
Do not run Update from TMG it breaks Crossover. Instead download the new version and enter your serial no etc when asked. This unlocks the 30-trial version.

Version before 7.04 will not backup and restore correctly, so make sure you download the latest version. You should see the version number when TMG starts.

Instructions

Create a fresh crossover WinXP bottle called "TMG7"
In crossover install Corefonts.
Exit crossover.

If you have a legal copy of WinXP copy C:\windows\fonts\winding.ttf to ~/.cxoffice/TMG7/drive_c/windows/fonts. If you do not do this the rendering of some screens will be faulty.

Install wine tricks by running command $"wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks"
In a Linux terminal run $"env WINEPREFIX=/home/ian/.cxoffice/TMG7 sh winetricks dcom98 gdiplus".
(This will install dcom98. If you try to do this from cx it will refuse saying that a later version of dcom is installed: winetricks fools it into installing OK.)
Install Internet Explorer 6 from Crossover. As an alternative, you can run in a terminal $"env WINEPREFIX=/home/ian/.cxoffice/TMG7 sh winetricks fakeie6" which makes the installation believe that ie6 is installed when it is not.)

Copy tmg7[uk]setup.exe to this directory: ~/.cxoffice/TMG7/drive_c/ (get latest version from http://www.whollygenes.com)

Run crossover > Configure > Control Panel > winecfg
Under Applications tab select tmg7setup.exe then make it run as Win98. (Leave default as WinXP.)

In crossover install TMG7.exe cd to ~/bottle "wine tmg7setup.exe".
Then look at ~/.cxoffice/TMG7/driv_c/windows/temp/install...log to see if there are any errors. (Ignore: err:cxreboot:Execute_CommandList FAILED to delete key with error 2)

In Crossover configure your bottle and go to the Control Panel, then click winecfg icon. Under the Applications tab select drive_c\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\Vcf.exe and set it to run as Win98 and select drive_c\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\rrw\rrwrun.exe and set to run as Win3.1. If you forget this TMG7 will run OK but Visual Chart Form and the Document Report Generator will produce errors.
Under the Applications tab select "Default Settings". Then click the Libraries tab: this sets the Default dlls. Run down the list and check that the setting for ole32.dll, oleaut32.dll, rpcrt4.dll is "native then builtin". If it is not select it and click "Edit" then click the "native then buildin" option.
Go back to the Applications tab and select tmg7.exe. (You will have to go to drive_c/Program Files/The Master Genealogist v7/). Then go to the Libraries tab and find gdiplus and set as "native": "native then builtin" does NOT seem to work here. You may have to type gdiplus in. (If ole32.dll, oleaut32.dll, rpcrt4.dll are not set for default and set for tmg7.exe instead then TMG will run but it you click "Help" or press F1 the whole application will hang. If this happens do a reset of all applications from the Crossover menu.)

NOTE WELL ON UPGRADE OR REINSTALL - on upgrade of crossover from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2 (or reinstall, I imagine) all the dlls in all the bottles seem to be reset to "buildin, native". Reset them as above. I think a way of avoiding this may be to do an archive of TMG7 bottle and restore it after upgrading.
For more details about this see:http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/advocate_center/forum/?t=1;msg=37316

Create the file below to tell TMG7 where the UserData will be held: (See note at end about Backup problem & UserData path.)
/home/ian/.cxoffice/TMG7/drive_c/Program Files/The Master Genealogist v7/Data_paths.txt to contain: (replace ian with your linux login name)
[ian]
SharedProgramData=C:\TMG7\SharedProgramData
UserProgramData=C:\TMG7\UserProgramData
UserData=C:\TMG7\UserData

You will find your projects etc in the TMG7 bottle in C:\TMG7\UserData or /home/ian/.cxoffice/TMG7/UserData.
This is not essential but it seems tidier than the default TMG7 behaviour of putting it in my "My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7" application data. I always backup the TMG7 data file on exit to somewhere outside of the bottle for safe keeping. You can read more about the the use of Data_paths.txt in the TMG7 user manual. (You can change C:zTMG7\UserProgramData to be some other directory, but I suggest that you read TMG7 help (search "User Data") before you do this.

Go to cxoffice configuration menu for TMG7 and select TMG7 from there.
In order to be able to see wine error messages create a desktop shortcut from crossover Run command on control panel tab. Find this on the linux desktop, R click it and copy the launcher. Then run launcher in a terminal. This will look something like:
"/home/ian/cxoffice/bin/wine" --bottle "TMG7" --untrusted --workdir "/home/ian/.cxoffice/TMG7""/drive_c/Program Files/The Master Genealogist v7" -- "/home/ian/.cxoffice/TMG7/drive_c/Program Files/The Master Genealogist v7/tmg7.exe"
If it does not run search for "err:". Most likely these will relate to a .dll file that needs to be set "native" in winecfg.

You can also run TMG7 directly from the Crossover Menu or from the TMG7 bottle configuration.

The following were shown as installed software with just TMG7 installed:
Crossover HTML Engine
Windows OLE components & part 2
DCOM98
WIndows installer 2.0 Residtributable (If IE is actually installed)
msls31
MFC libraries for Active X
IE6 & SP1
TMG7 for all users
Core fonts
MS Powerpoint Viewer 2003
MS Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003

NOTES
Do not be temped to run wine in a terminal $env WINEPREFIX=/home/ian/.cxoffice/TMG7TestInstructions. Crossover uses its own version of wine and you are likely to get errors relating to the versions being different.

* Installing The Master Genealogist Utility & Second Site 2 by John Cardinal ***
These do work but are subject to the same Crossover update problems as TMG7 above. I have not suceeded in getting TMGU7 & SecondSite2 to run in wine because of problems with lack of ActiveX dlls. Crossover has overcome this difficulty.

To install TMGU700 & Second Site v2 in Crossover v7.1.0 in a WinXP bottle

Create WinXP called "TMGU7AndSS2"
Install IE6

--To install TMGU700--------------------------------
Copy TMGU700.exe to crossover TMGU7AndSS2/drive_c
Under applications Add TMGU700.exe go to Libraries and make oleaut32.dll & olepro32.dll (native then builtin)
Now navigate to TMGU7AndSS2/drive_c in terminal then run "wine TMGU700.exe"

--To install SecondSite2-----------------------------
copy msxml6.msi to TMGU7AndSS2/drive_c and install in it as unsuported application
copy SS2.exe file to TMGU7AndSS2/drive_c and install "SS2.exe"

Both SS2 and TMGU700 will install in the same bottle as TMG7 if you with that.

** NB Backup problem * This has been corrected with the release of TMG V7.04 ****
These notes now only apply to versions of TMG before 7.04
Mon 10 Nov 2008: Wholly Genes are onto this problem and Jim Byram has found the solution and this will be made available imminently with the next release of TMG.
NOTE WELL: As yet, the Backup project does not function correctly under either Wine or Crossover. I use the UK version of TMG and assume that the same happens with the US version. When a Backup is performed all appears to go correctly and the .sqz file is created. Restore works correctly but I find that I get the message "Nothing to Restore". The Backup has backup all configurations but ignored the Project files. I see no warning to this effect. I wonder if there is a dll relating to zip that has to be altered.
There is a workaround. All the Project files are in the directory UserData=C:\TMG7\UserData stated in Data_paths.txt.

Solution 1: just back these up periodically.

Solution 2: Change C:\TMG7\UserData to in, say, the home directory as UserData=z:/home/ian/TMG7Backups, or wherever seems best for you.

This problem exists when TMG7 is insalled for All User, or just for a single user, ian. The problem does not exist when using WinXP in Win4Lin with the UserData kept on the home directory so it is not a program error and does not seem to be related to permissions.

For a detailed description of the problem see:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10500

A thread on this topic has been opened in whollygenes forum in the hope that a solution will emerge.

NOTE 10 Jul 2008. TMG V7 works well in wine v1.1.7 but requires some setting up.
See how to do it in wine at these sites:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hamamelis/linux/tmg7.wine.crossover1.htm
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10500

TMG v6.12 with Crossover v6.2 and the instructions on this website performs virtually 100% and I use this all the time. NOTE If you upgrade the TMG project files to v7 they cannot be read with TMG6. The same applies to .sqz backup files. THere is no way back!

thanks for your posts on TMG
I just created a bottle named TMG and tried to install the tmg install file. I recieved an error message that stated it was expecting a certain size file and instead was returned a smaller size (the error message disapeared before I could copy it). I didn't install the fonts as you directed above because I hadnt read your posts yet.

Do you know what is wrong with how I tried to install tmg7? tmg is the main reason I will buy crossover after my trial

I am using an IMAC and dont have windows installed.

You have to follow the instructions precisely. Install Core Fonts & then use winetricks exactly as directed.
TMG is unlikely to install without doing all this. Then you have to attend to dlls as instructed in my post.
Let us know how you get on.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic1BxTDJ6U3RWdGZOTHc0bSIsImdkcHIiOjB9