The Witcher Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

New to Crossover Games...

And I am trying to get the Witcher EE, DVD-Rom version, to run on my MacBook Pro, which has the following specs:

MacBook Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB memory 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 320m with 256 MB Ram

I have read through the threads on this site and while they were extremely informative, I feel as if a novice at computer programming such as myself is missing some key common knowledge that makes these solutions work. So, if anyone is feeling generous, I would much appreciate a complete dummies guide to getting this game to work.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. In case it matters, I did follow the guide posted in the "Tips and Tricks" section of this game area, but was unable to get past the instructions for Regedit, and remain stumped at how exactly to carry out those instructions.

Well, after many hours of trial and error, the game finally runs fine. The only problem I have is that the game refuses to display Geralt's life bar. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Sorry, I just saw this. Good job on getting it to work. The health bar was a known problem when I originally wrote the Tip and subsequent versions still haven't gotten it working. The last version I tried was 10.0 but I haven't played it much to keep tinkering with it.

If someone else has seen a fix maybe they will chime in.

I've gotten through a majority of the game without the health or poison bars. It's not super easy sometimes but, iirc, you can pause and hover over the bars to see the numbers.

True, it is not a game breaker. Just hope that someone manages to find a fix for it.

Adam: How did you get this to work?

I've followed the Tips and Tricks - Basically I can get into the game.. it runs terribly, and my character seems to just be a weird stick like thing.

I didn't really understand what I was meant to do with the gdiplus.dll, or where I was meant to get a new one.

I'm running a 2010 macbook pro, 330m, 8gb ram. Please help if you can.

Ned wrote:

Adam: How did you get this to work?

I've followed the Tips and Tricks - Basically I can get into the
game.. it runs terribly, and my character seems to just be a weird
stick like thing.

I didn't really understand what I was meant to do with the
gdiplus.dll, or where I was meant to get a new one.

I'm running a 2010 macbook pro, 330m, 8gb ram. Please help if you
can.

Hi,

gdiplus you can install via crosstie... see;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=8227

Cheers!

Well, I might be mistaken, but the gdiplus.dll should already be installed. At least, it was with my version of Crossover. I didn't have to go out and find it. Is your version of Witcher a download or a disc-based copy?

Adam Gilbert wrote:

Well, I might be mistaken, but the gdiplus.dll should already be
installed. At least, it was with my version of Crossover. I didn't
have to go out and find it. Is your version of Witcher a download
or a disc-based copy?

A builtin winelib version of gdiplus is routinely installed into a bottle,
however, that may not have all the call/routines that a native gdiplus.dll
provides.

I picked up The Witcher EE (DRM-free edition) over at gog.com last week ($5 looked a bargain) but cannot get it to run.

I'm no technical whiz but I tried it in CXG 10.1 and (in order to use the suggestion in Tips & Tricks help) also version 8.0.0.

In both cases, the game installs and opens as far as the main menu dialogue box. However, every attempt to Launch Game meets with a whited-out screen (albeit with the CXG menu bar still at the top) and no cursor. After a moment, the game quits out with a dialogue box reading that 'The Witcher encountered a serious problem and has to close. This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.’ In fact, it has crashed and Force Quit of CXG is required to get back to the Finder.

Without really understanding whether it could help at all, I also tried Don’s suggestion about installing via CrossTie the gdiplus file. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it made no difference.

I’m running an iMac with 3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo chip, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and OSX 10.6.7.

Any help much appreciated

To get the GOG.com edition to get past the initial startup menu I installed DirectX 9 to my Witcher bottle. I also had to add the following registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\UseGLSL=enabled . The characters sometimes look a bit strange. If you keep on adjusting the resolution eventually they appear almost normal.

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRU1tZ2RMRW5lNjdjcTNiYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9