The Witcher Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Character models are sometimes invisible nVidia -- bug fix coming

Hi,

As much as anything I thought we should have something here drawing people's attention to:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34052 - The Witcher: Character models are sometimes invisible
(character models sometimes invisible, showing just weapons, eyes mouth etc on nVidia cards with binary drivers)

That means that, from Wine version 1.9.11, the correct fix for this issue is to add a registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D (you may have to create this)
with an entry
name: CheckFloatConstants
value: enabled

Or in CrossTie speak:
<preinstallregistry>
<key>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D</key>
<value>
<name>CheckFloatConstants</name>
<data>enabled</data>
</value>
</preinstallregistry>

As far as I can tell, the latest Crossover (15.2) is based on Wine 1.8, so this patch is not yet in there. I tried adding the registry key anyway and it did seem to improve (1 fail out of 6, rather than 4 fails out of 8), but I'm guessing that is just chance, as I think the patch should completely fix it if it works.

From the bug report, it looks as though there is a tiny performance hit (one user said fps dropped from 34 fps to 33 fps), which is why they are not turning it on by default for all Wine. I think we should see what performance impact it has, but if those numbers are roughly correct, enable it by default through adding the above to the CrossTie.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Kind regards,

Aaron

We now have Crossover 16, which is based on Wine 2.0:
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/more-information/changelog#16.0.0
That should mean we have the fix. The Witcher cross-tie also has the registry key, so I would be keen to know if anyone sees this from a clean install from now on.

George Chappell, I see that you keep reporting issues with invisible characters in your testing. Do you have the registry key in correctly/have you installed with a recent CrossTie?

I have the registry key and have not seen this issue since upgrading.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQXZjWDlRdUdSYkFGSFRndiIsImdkcHIiOjB9