The Witcher Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

The Witcher Enhanced edition installs fine, but won't let me Run the game :(

So when I run the game it brings up the start menu for the game, but when I click 'Launch Game', it says I must be admin when running for the first time, anyone know a work around for this?

Are you using a retail version or Steam?

If retail, have you patched it to the latest version?

retail, and no I haven't :( I tried downloading the patch exe but it errored when I tried to install in the same bottle, is there a different way?

According to this:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17527

There are a few things to try to get it to patch correctly.

If that doesn't fix it is most likely because of some kind of DRM. Unfortunately, here is the boilerplate that CodeWeavers uses when it reaches that point:

[i] The Digital Rights Management (DRM) software in this program
prevents it from running in CrossOver. If you are in a legal jurisdiction
which allows removal of such software, you may have luck running this
program. Unfortunately, CodeWeavers, because they are subject to the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act, will be unable to support you.[/i]

Best of luck!

I'm having this exact same problem. Real pain after all the juggling I had to do to get it to install correctly.

What exactly do you do to accomplish those extra steps to be able to install the 1.5 patch?

[i]Install 1.5, I had to take these few extra steps :
. uncompress the installer : wine TheWitcherPatch.1.5.exe /extract_all:
. execute uncompressed installer [/i]

I don't know what that means, very vague.

Nevermind, got the patch to install. Had it set for the wrong bottle was all. Still won't play though. I get an error: The command "/Users/Kevin/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Witcher/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher Enhanced Edition/System/witcher.exe" returned 53.

StdOut:

StdErr:

hmmm...

Not sure then.

According to this: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4639;forum=1;msg=43146 that error means there is some kind of DLL missing.

Unfortunately this is getting a little outside my area of knowledge.

Edit:

Also, did you make sure you have all the correct VC++ runtimes and whatnot installed?

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWDllSnZTWlllN01XTlRISiIsImdkcHIiOjB9