The Witcher Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

horrible graphics

I own the enhanced edition of this game and just installed it with crossover 9.2. It wouldn't start because the run as administrator message popped up. I fixed this by installing the new patch but now when i play the graphics are horrible. Its like nothing is solid, everything sticks out and blends together, making it completely unplayable. The intro video up to the main menu works perfectly but the actual gameplay does not. I have directx-modern and Microsoft visual C++ 2005 Redistributable installed already. Changing the video settings all to low don't change anything. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Greetings.

I've had similar trouble with graphics. There are some suggestions for graphics under the tips and tricks tab. Those helped minimize the problems. I used to get completely inverted graphics or only a character's sword and eyeballs would show up.

I have no idea how this game has a Gold medal. It's never worked well for me.

Hi,

To both posters here, it's near impossible for people to help you
if you don't tell us which platform/OS{version}/videocard your system
has -- this information is often critical/required to understand why
you may be having problems others seem not to...

Cheers!

Greetings.

I'm using CXG 9.2 on OSX 10.6.5 on a 21" iMac with 4 GB RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256 MB RAM. The game is The Witcher Enhanced Edition (v1.5). I've also been able to successfully update the game using the Director's Cut patch (http://tw1.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=25142.0), although I haven't played the game yet with the new patch.

By using the edits in the Tips & Tricks post, I've been able to correct some of the problems I was having when I first attempted to play The Witcher with CXG 8. The inverse graphics went away when CXG 9 beta came out. It was the first time I was able to load the game. The latest version of CXG improved the frame rate. And people's faces came back instead of just seeing floating eyeballs.

Graphics problems are finally down to just extended polygons. These polygons look like elongated, spikey triangles on faces, arms, swords, backs, almost every shape. The polygons used to make the game unplayable.

I haven't tried the new CXG 10 beta yet.

Hi again,

Okay...Have you tried the other registry hack Ken mentions
in the other thread here?...;

Using regedit, create the key path HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/AppDefaults/<whatever>.exe /Direct3D. Use the name of the Witcher .exe file instead of <whatever>, of course. Within the Direct3D key, create a new string value named SafeVsConsts and set it to "enable" (without the quotes).

citing: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?forum=1;app_id=3768;msg=86515

Cheers!

Ya using the tips/tricks to change the registry i actually got this game to work really well. I still sometimes have issues with invisible characters or long black lines but as long as i go to manage bottles and simulate a system reboot it works fine again.

I have an issue, I tried that hack already and whenever I try to start a new game in the witcher it loads a little bit and then crashes. I dont know what to do, I followed all the instructions and they made me worst off. I'm using Crossover 10.0.1 on mac, I have 10.6.7 snow leopard with 3.06 ghz intel core 2 duo proccesor. My graphics card is an ATi Radeon Hd 4670 with 256 mb of vram and its model is an imac.

I'm using CXGames 10.1 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I'm on the 15" MacBook with a 2 Ghz intel core i7 and 4 Gb of RAM. My graphics card, besides the integrated intel one, is an AMD Radeon HD 6590M.

I the Witcher, which I downloaded from GoG.com, and followed the suggestions in the Tips and Tricks section.

The registry settings I've been using are:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
DirectDrawRender=opengl
OffscreenRenderingMode=fbo
PixelShaderMode=enabled
RenderTargetLockMode=textex
UseGLSL=enabled
VideoMemorySize=256

I get reasonable performance but parts of characters' bodies and weapons will randomly stretch out toward the end of the screen as seen here image. I tried the fix suggested in a couple of threads of setting

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\witcher.exe\Direct3D]
SafeVsConsts=enable

But this gave a ragdoll effect like so:

If I set UseGLSL=disabled and SafeVsConsts=disable it all looks pretty good but some characters still have quite a bit of distortion e.g. image

As it is the game is playable but the glitches are somewhat annoying. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten better results than I have on a MacBook and if so what they might have done differently.

Thanks for any help.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUVNyRXJOZ3hwVWQ3S3h4VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9