The Witcher Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Does the Steam version work?

Hi,

Can anyone give me a definitive answer here?...I've read through all
the threads here, and I cannot ascertain the exact situation wrt the Steam
release...at best, I end up at the bottom most posting of the following
thread, which suggests 'it works' provided you get Windows involved...see;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3768;forum=1;msg=65668

Uh-huh? The reason I ask, is I've been testing the 'distributor comparison
table', and based on the information currently available to me here, I would
have to enter Steam as 'not_working' ; having to use windows to get it to
work, means that distribution of the game doesn't work with Crossover.
It would/may be permissible to have a note mentioning the above thread, but it
would still be marked as not_working - can anyone clear this up for me? I'll
mark it as 'untested' for now, and hopefully someone will prove me wrong B)

@abeta - thanks for the disc based coverage, easy as to markup that release ;)

Cheers!

The Witcher is one of my all-time favorite games...and as such I wound up buying the Steam version when it was on sale.

That said....I'm hoping that someone else can answer the Steam question of this game only because it'll be next week before this download finishes for me to even try a quick attempt :).

It's been going for about 8 hours now and I've got a whopping 2% completed on the download.

I will give it a try tonight and let you know. I purchased the Steam version during this year's Steam sale and haven't gotten around to installing yet. I was expecting it to work, but we'll see what happens!

Has anyone actually gotten the Steam version to STAY downloaded? Everytime I run regedit and restart the bottle, it goes and downloads another 10-15GB of data and that takes at least 24 hours for me since I don't seem to get any more than 300KB/sec during the holiday season.

That said, I've gotten it to boot past the Atari screen by messing with the keys so I'm assuming that the Steam version SHOULD work but I'm really not in the mood to download 10-15GB everytime I make a change to my registry keys. <== Happening only in Crossover. I don't have this problem on a Windows machine which works just fine.

Sooo....if someone else can confirm it working in Steam, that'd be great and if someone else can confirm they're seeing the constant downloads I'd appreciate that info too :).

At this point I'd have to say the Steam version isn't usable if my experience is the norm.

Sorry, just getting back to this. I hadn't yet tried The Witcher, as I was getting absolutely awful download speeds on Steam this past week. I imagine it's due to the game sales. I'm starting a clean 9.2.0 bottle and will test the registry issues, and see if that's an isolated problem or something affecting CXGames.

Hi,

works with steam.
I try it today, and works fine with my laptop core2duo 3 years-old.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZWYyOWVaQVBuMjRTWXRoOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9