The Witcher Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Losing quest details

Greetings.

I'm having a strange problem with the Witcher. I'm mid-way through chapter 3, and every quest I had from Chapter 3 are no longer in the journal. When I go back to Triss' house in the Trade Quarter, she again gives me the sensors to place throughout town (as though it's the beginning of chapter 3) I'm then re-given all of the initial quests and items. I went back almost to the beginning of the chapter saves, and so far all of the chapter 3 quests that I had completed are gone too.

Here is a specific example: I was in the Vizima Cemetery doing the quest Six Feet Under. Towards the end of the quest, you have the option of chasing after the group of elves and dwarves or rescuing the people in the crypt. I chose to rescue the people in the crypt. When I entered the crypt, the game autosaved. I got to the people at the back of the crypt and killed the ghouls. I received an update that I should talk to Sigfried. The screen blinked as if it was going to start the cut scene of the people being rescued, but instead nothing happened. The terrified people stayed where they were and the quest did not progress. The quest (and almost every other Chapter 3 quest) had disappeared from the journal.

I don't know if this is a CXG problem or a Witcher problem. I didn't find this problem searching on Google.

I'm on a 21" iMAC (4 GB ram, 256MB 4670 Radeon HD) with OSX 10.6.5 running CXG 10.0 beta. I'm going to revert to CXG 9.2 and see what happens.

The Witcher Enhanced Edition is version 1.5 with the Director's Cut patch applied. The game has also been crashing randomly, some times when loading a saved game other times when switching areas. Nothing consistent or repeatable about when it seems to happen. (Other people have reported similar problems with the game, with the crashes some times corrupting save files or even deleting the save files.)

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions for determining if this is a CXG problem or a Witcher bug?

The problem described here happens whether I'm using CXG 9.2 or 10.0 beta.

I read through the forums on TheWitcher.com (specifically the troubleshooting FAQ). Didn't really find much.

Pretty much all of my saved games in Chapter 3 had lost their quest details. Even earlier games in Chapter 2 were messed up. I found set of saved games (google is your friend) and loaded a saved game. Saving the game seemed to retain the quest details. However, when an autosave occurred, the quest details were lost again.

I've turned off autosave and am working with a saved game I downloaded. Will post again when I have more details.

Not having quest data saved makes the game pretty much unplayable.

Save and reload (even with autosave disabled) did not work. The downloaded saved games work okay, but something about my installation is resetting the quests.

I'm going to try reinstalling the game in a new bottle (maybe even a clean install of CSX). I hate to do it. I've spent hours getting this game to run.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

The save game files -- are they binary files, or human readable? (ie; xml perhaps)

Each saved game file is a 15-30 MB binary file. There is a save game editor written in Java that can edit abilities and shows the current quests (but not edit quests, as far as I can tell). I was able to get the Jar file to run using the instructions in the readme file.

All of my save game files displayed an error message. The saved games I downloaded opened without a problem. I'll document those messages, in are they are helpful.

I will also post this problem on The Witcher forums and see if anyone has a suggestion. Once that thread is created, I'll post it here for cross reference.

Ok....please do record the error messages when you get there,
just in case they disclose something obvious to other eyes =)

I'm running into the exact same issue with losing all Chapter 3 quest progress. Were you able to find a fix?

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSkVZbk1GUWF5QVh3dHZjWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9