Thief: The Dark Project Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Thief: The Dark Prohject Gold

Hi,

Because I am an Advocate of Thief:TDP I want to have a try, that this program runs flawlessly. Well, the installation is no problem and performs without any error. I also can start the game, can change settings and can load a new or an saved game. Also the videos are played-back perfectly.
So why am I writing this Post? Because the game won't run for long time. I can walk through the levels and listen to conversations of the NPC's. If I push one of the numeric-buttons to choose an weapon, the game freezes without any message (tried it in console mode). Somtimes I can choose an weapon, but if I want to attack somebody the game also freezes.

Is somebody here who has the same experience or even an solution? Thanks for every hint.

regs

Mo

Edit: Before I forget, I am using Crossover Games 7.0 on Ubuntu Linux 8.04

I really don't like to reply to my own post's, but no one replyed for weeks... ☹️

I just installed Thief Gold, and seem to be having the same problem, with a little extra spice. First, I am running CX Games Mac 7.1.1 on a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz with Tiger 10.4.11. It seems that when trying to run this game (and a number of others) certain aspects of the game run upside-down. The intro movies run fine, but in-game is completely upside down when run in hardware mode. Software mode seems to fix this. However, any movement other than with the mouse freezes and crashes the game. I'm running in a bottle of Win98 (with other applications in the bottle as well). Perhaps changing bottles/settings might have an effect on the game? Post if you make any progress.

I tried this on my MacBook Pro and it worked up until I actually tried to play, at which point I got garbage on the screen. I'm going to try again on my iMac (which has a better mouse for it).

OK, I have figured out what's going on. It's not actually CrossOver specific; the same thing happens on Windows on multiprocessor systems; the solution there is to set the processor affinity. You can't do that on OS X, alas, but you can disable one CPU temporarily with /Library/Application Support/HWPrefs/CPUPalette.app.

Hardware rendering does not work for me, either on the MacBook Pro (Top of screen OK with black&white garbag in bottom) or the 24" iMac (vertical bands across entire screen). But software does.

Moritz: You can set processor affinity on Linux with 'schedtool' (which you might have to track down and install). I'm new to Crossover so I don't know how you could arrange it, but if you could get Crossover to call schedtool to run thief rather than run thief directly, it should work on Linux.

Unfortunately, HWPrefs/CPUPalette.app seems to be native to Leopard and not Tiger. Maybe there's another workaround.

Here's how to disable CPUs: http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1141.html

(Short version: you need to install the Mac developer tools.)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS2RWRmhwZXlTUng0ZTl5cCIsImdkcHIiOjB9