Thief: The Dark Project Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to get this working on OS X

I have Thief Gold, but it should work for other versions too. I am runniong Snow Leopard and CG9.

1. Full install into a windows xp bottle by using the Run... command "[path to your cd]\setup.exe -lgntforce"
  2. (Optional) Install 1.33 patch if you don't have Thief Gold (it is already 1.37)
  3. http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/dmca
  4. (Optional) Apply widescreen patch. I needed to do this from a vmware vm which shared the bottle folder as Crossover would not run the batch file. Do not install DDFix. It causes the game to crash on first intro video.
  5. You must run the game in single core mode otherwise it will crash within a minute of starting up. Install the developer tools from your OS X install DVD. Then use either:
    • /Library/Application Support/HWPrefs/CPUPalettte
    • or /Developer/Extras/PreferencePanes/Processor.prefpane

to turn off hyperthreading and reduce number of cores to 1.

Now start up crossover games and run the game from your bottle.

sorry for the edit

Any ideas on why videos don't load at all? It when I try to start the game up its says thief.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Any ideas on possible fixes?

If you did what I did above the videos work.

Step 3 was to patch the exe to remove cd checks which should be perfectly fine if you own the original cd, but perhaps I used the wrong word originally so it was edited out. Make sure you have done that.

Take note of not installing DDFix in step 4 as that crashes the videos.

And if thief.exe is crashing then you may not have step 5 working correctly. It is crucial that you run in single core mode. The game simply does not work otherwise.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ1ZwZVF6QXFBZHhHOEhBRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9