Total Annihilation Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GOG version: DirectX warning and other issues

Total CrossOver and (Windows) TA newbie here, first time with both apps (I do have the MacOS 9 TA). Using it on OSX Lion.

I installed using the default settings and got the scrambled cutscene and intro. Somehow managed to launch the game and play it in windowed mode rather than full screen. Hours of fun.

But was never able to get back to that. Now when I try to launch I get a DirectX warning (I don't remember that being there the successful time, even though there were visual problems then too) and I can't get into a gameplay situation without wobbly lines, "static", or other visual problems. And I can't figure out how to get rid of it, or even to play in a windowed mode.

I've uninstalled and re-installed many times, no difference in outcome.

Rampancy, you talked about enabling a virtual desktop. How do I do that? Wanted to respond to the thread you said that in but it's locked now.

I initially had the same problem as you, very frustratingly, until I went to the Wine Configuration in the control panel and ticked "emulate a virtual desktop". Seems to work for now.

Thank you, anakayub. You give me sufficient hope so that I may actually shell out for the full version of Crossover. I had downloaded the Crossover demo to see if I could make it work - Good Old Games' TA was my "killer app" that would justify or de-justify the Crossover purchase price.

I was able to make the game run properly, in a window, by setting the "Run as virtual desktop" option in Wine.

CrossOver > Manage Bottles > Control Panel > Wine Configuration
Wine Configuration > Graphics > "Emulate a virtual desktop"

However, I can't figure out how to make the window bigger. Even if I change the "desktop size" to larger, it always reverts back to a 640x480 window when TA starts.

Anyone found a way to scale to full display, or make it larger?

Running CrossOver v12.0 on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidzQyNmRBWWVFeUdFUzNBQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9