Total Annihilation Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Network Multiplayer Hint

This is a mildly edited repost of the information found here: http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectPlayGames

Before I get into the repost, please note that following these directions will cause your Crossover bottle to display "Legacy DirectX" even though you may have installed "Modern DirectX".

This is how you get network multiplay to work on Total Annihilation. It worked perfectly for me:

download directx mar 2009 redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0cf368e5-5ce1-4032-a207-c693d210f616

Please note that I have updated the download location because the location posted on winehq doesn't work. If the link above doesn't work, try to Google for "DirectX March 2009"

run "./directx_mar2009_redist.exe /T:Z:/tmp/directxcabs /C" to extract the cabs to /tmp/directxcabs. You will need to agree to the eula.

NOTE 1: The path of /T:/Z: is absolute to your system, not to the bottle. In other words, "/tmp" != "C:\tmp"

NOTE 2: Perhaps not as obvious to all as to me: You run this commands using Crossover's "run command" feature.

use cabextract to extract the following files from /tmp/directxcabs/dxnt.cab: dplayx.dll, dpnet.dll, dpnhpast.dll, dpwockx.dll, dplaysvr.exe

NOTE: You may need to find and download a version of Cabextract for your operating system. Mac Users: Stuffit Extractor will say that the CAB is corrupted. It isn't. You just need to use Cabextract, not Stuffit. As of this writing, the Cabextract home page is here: http://www.cabextract.org.uk/

copy dplayx.dll, dpnet.dll, dpnhpast.dll, dpwockx.dll, dplaysvr.exe into Wine's windows/system32 directory (usually "~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32")

NOTE: Crossover's folder is different. On Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Crossover Games/Bottles/...

run regsvr32 on each of: dplayx.dll dpnet.dll and dpnhpast.dll, eg "regsvr32 dplayx.dll"
add these four dlls to the dll overrides list in winecfg. Make sure they are added globally, not specific to an application, otherwise dplaysvr.exe will use the wrong dlls.

NOTE: Perhaps not as obvious to all as to me: You run these commands using Crossover's "run command" feature.

Hi,

What Tobias explains above is correct (and it's a good exposition on
the original wine posting 8)...but...it might seem too complex and/or
be beyond an end users experience to do the do here...ymmv...

...however, as a matter of coincidence, someone else asked (in the adv.forum
iirc) a few days ago how to do the exact same thing...and they use OSX, and
like Tobias, I immediately discerned if you're using OSX it becomes a whole
different story....so....

....what I did was cobble together a directplay.c4p instead, which uses
all the Crossover inbuilt functionality to achieve the same result as
using 'winetricks directplay' -- so you can get all the above done in a
1-click C4P install fashion...

...unfortunately, I doubt very much whether I can include the aforesaid
c4p profile into C4 proper - it breaks some rules, but I am prepared to
make it available if someone needs it - just ask. For the record, the user
I did said c4p profile for reported it worked fine on their Mac with the
title that needed directplay, so I know the c4p is 'good' ;)

Cheers!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZHlTeUZibUpBQlVVTG5LMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9