Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Vampire: Bloodlines steam install, won't run at all

I ordered this game through steam, running on a Gateway 7811FX laptop with Fedora 13. I have the closed nVidia driver + Compiz running in Gnome (always a chance this may be relevant).

The game downloads and installs via Steam. Click the play button and get a smaller box that (briefly) opens and says "Preparing to launch Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines". This box closes and the game does not open.

I saw a suggestion in another thread to put in these options, but I have no idea "where" (is it the basic crossover steam launcher or somewhere else?)

"-novid -window -dxlevel 80"

I have already deleted the game and (re) installed a fresh download. I am not using any patches other than what comes with steam (I know the assorted unoffical patches do not work).

Running on Crossover Games Linux 9.2.1

Hi,

Those options are to be entered into the Steam GUI...with
Steam running, right click on the Vampire: Bloodlines entry
and select Properties -- in the GUI that pops up, General
tab, click on 'Set Launch Options...' - then you'll be able
to enter the -novid -window -dxlevel 80 launch options.

Cheers!

edit: gee my wording's off lately

Hi there. It shouldn't be necessary to run the game windowed unless there is an issue with running it on your desktop environment (ie Gnome, KDE, XFCE etc.) Also, VTMB doesn't use any other direct X version then Direct X 9, so adding -dxlevel 80 will likely do nothing, but it is possible that it could mess it up or not let it launch.
I unfortunately have the old cd version of VTMB so I can be of very little help with the steam end of it. Perhaps if it goes on sale in the future I will grab it anyway.
I have had the same issues with this game with the cd version though, but it has been quite a while since I ran into it and I don't remember how I fixed it.

When you launch the game be sure in your process viewer that IDriver.exe isn't somehow running. Another option is to change your bottle with steam/VTMB on it so it emulates a virtual desktop and see if that helps.

Let me know if any of this works at all.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZnBRV3o0QW1nTEw2VmthYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9