Ventrilo Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver 5.0

Ventrilo works rather well with CrossOver 5.0. However, certain codecs do not ship with the Win32 binary of Ventrilo 2.3.0, so if a "room" is set to use that codec (such as GSM 6.10), then you'll have problems listening in. However, if the room is set on, say, Speex (hoorah!), then all is quite dandy!

I haven't tried input of audio, mainly because I don't have anything to do so with. However, output using DirectSound works perfectly. That cannot be said for Wine 0.9.3, or Cedega 4.4. Also, one needs to install it within a win2000 bottle (iirc, the configure dialogs do not remind me what kind of bottle it is) or the installation will exit prematurely.

It is, naturally as always, senstive to CPU loads, and so sound could stutter while loading an instance (such as World of Warcraft in this case). Also, the Setup dialog capatures the mouse into its center (as if DirectInput is involved somewhat) and so one must use key shortcuts to navigate around the dialog. Set the driver to DirectSound, and enjoy.

Ventrilo installed nicely under 5.0.3 and came up nicely. Initialy I too had problems in the setup where the mouse was focused in the centre of the window but after playing around with the sound settings using the keyboard, the mouse suddenly started working in the setup window! What did it was turning on 'use push-to-talk hotkey' thgen deselecting 'use DirectInput to detect Hotkey'.

Another issue I had was with ventrilo locking up when I double clicked on my name after connecting to a server. All I could do was X the program.

I had no luck connecting to a server that was using GSM 6.10. I read the posts about copying msgsm32.acm into the windows/system32 directory and changing the system.ini. That of course didn't work. Wine places its acm's into /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine as .so's (at least for me it does). So I suspect that the good people at WineHQ/Codeweavers will need to compile their own msgsm32.acm.so library.

But connecting to a server that ran speex worked just fine. They heard me, I heard them and the chat also worked. I do not have 'DirectSound' checked anywhere. Everything is 'default'.

I'm running Mandriva 2006, with a GeForce 4 video card and ALSA sound drivers.

Thanks Codeweavers/WineHQ.

UPDATE to GSM 6.10 issue---------------

I just did some more searching on google and I found this post at

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Advanced_Wine_User_Information

acm

"err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"msgsm32.acm": /usr/lib/wine/msgsm32.acm.so: invalid ELF header"

Alex Villacís Lasso [Dec 05]: For native ACM files, you may need to specify the full qualified path to the ACM file. That is: MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm should be replaced by:

MSACM.msgsm610=C:\windows\system32\msgsm32.acm 

Of course, you should replace 'C:\windows\system32' with whatever the actual path is in your fake Windows directory structure. wine archive

Well, I did was Alex suggested, reset my test ventrilo server to use GSM 6.10 and darned if it didn't work! I did still complain that it couldn't find the GSM codec on exit from Setup, but it worked.

Now I'm twice as happy.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVnFkOWNhVmZ3a1lRY25UeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9