Ventrilo Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How To Put Ventrilo on a mac and have it use gsm 6.10

ok this is my first guide so I hope it helps you.

Ok first download Crossover 6.0 (you are going to have to pay for it in 60 days)

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

now you are going to want to make a bottle call it vent,

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture2.png

now we are going to have to make it the default bottle (this is in the advanced tab)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture4.png

Now comes the fun part, we are going to have to download a file called msgsm32.acm this can be found here: http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/7/7019.htm

you are going to need to follow the directions and either make an account w/ these guys or look at about 5-7 ads that you can just cycle through before downloading

when you have that file you need to open up your bottle page again, and select Open C: Drive in Folder

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture4.png

and go to windows\system32\ where you will put msgsm32.acm

here are the steps in pictures:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture5.png

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture7.png

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture6.png

alright you are almost done

we now need to tell crossover where you can find this codec so go back one to windows

and click on system.ini (open it in text edit)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture8.png
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture9.png

you are going to replace what it says with this:

[mci]
MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv
MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv
avivideo=mciavi32.dll
cdaudio=mcicda.dll
sequencer=mciseq.dll
vcr=mcivisca.drv
; videodisc=mcipionr.drv
waveaudio=mciwave.dll

[drivers32]
MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadp32.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=msadp32.acm
MSACM.msg711=msg711.acm
MSACM.winemp3=winemp3.acm
MSACM.msgsm610=C:\windows\system32\msgsm32.acm
vidc.MRLE=msrle32.dll
vidc.MSVC=msvidc32.dll
vidc.CVID=iccvid.dll
; vidc.IV50=ir50_32.dll
; vidc.IV31=ir32_32.dll
; vidc.IV32=ir32_32.dll

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/willrpike/Picture10.png

now go and download the windows copy of ventrilo run it in crossover, and try it

you should now have a working ventrilo that can get onto any server using speex codec or gsm 6.10

if you have any questions feel free to comment

do not distribute this guide w/o my permission
please email me at willrpike@mac.com if you want to use this guide for your site

OK, I followed Will's instructions on my Open SUSE 10.2 box with a SoundBlaster Live Value and I now have it working perfectly both inbound and outbound (except the mouse getting stuck in the center of the "setup" screen -- just use tab). I would like to point out that you need to follow these instructions EXACTLY to the letter and in correct ORDER to get it to work. Also, you must make sure your sound is working 100% before you start messing around with trying to get Ventrillo to work. The out of the box experience with Open SUSE 10.2 and Live! cards is not very good and there is some tweaking required:

1.) You need to add the user you will be logged in with to the audio group (unless you cough log in as root)
2.) You need to use ALSA. Run ALSACONF and ASAMIXER to confgure.
3.) Once you can hear sound, even if it is heavily distorted, start using YAST or the volume icon GUI to make all changes. I too had problems getting my outbound (microphone) to work but was able to modify everything in the GUI only. One big thing to remember is to uncheck digital audio, think SUSE has it checked by default. I also use only headphones, so very few volume options are actually checked except the 2 headphones ones and the microphone.

There are several well writen guides out there regarding all the sound problems with Suse 10.2 and SoundBlaster Live cards. Only once you have everything working should you can then start installing Crossover and Ventrillo -- if your using this configuration.

Will,

thanks for your detailed instructions. How ever, I it still does not recognise I have the codec.

Has anyone else successfully done this, and if so, did you do anything different to what Will has listed?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've got the program running using this guide, thanks!

However, I can't figure out how to get my microphone working. Do I need some sort of an audio codex?

Our audio driver on the Mac has limited support for audio input. In particular, the Windows application requests audio at a certain sample rate, and our driver will only work if that sample rate matches the sample rate configured for the device in Mac OS X. To configure a sample rate for the device in Mac OS X, you can use /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app. Unfortunately, while certain devices support a wide range of sampling rates, others support only a couple of rates.

You need to know what sample rate the Windows program is using. Some programs may allow you to configure that. Others may document the rate. If not, you can use the CrossOver's Run Command dialog to collect a +wave log of a brief run of the program. The desired sample rate should be shown in there.

We have plans to improve our audio driver so it will be able to convert between the device's configured sampling rate and the one desired by the Windows program, but I don't have a time estimate for that.

Hey all,

First of all I'd like to say a big thank you for this guide, it's been so helpful!

I am able to listen on ventrilo clearly, however I am unable to talk when not tabbed on to ventrilo. I can use the PTT function just fine, but ONLY if the program is up front. I use ventrilo mainly for gaming purposes and this is a huge problem for me at the moment. Is there something in the Coding above I may have missed? or was this kind of thing not included in the programming?

Thanks again,
Alden

Hmm. I'm not sure what might be happening there. I think it's something that Mac OS X is doing. Is there another program which is attempting to listen to audio input? Does the game itself have an audio input feature? Do you have Speakable Items turned on in the Speech pane of System Preferences?

As far as I know, CrossOver makes no attempt to turn audio input on and off as the program gains or loses focus.

I unfortunately don't have an intel based mac. I was wondering if there is any roundabout I can take to apply this fix to ventrilo and enable it to use the gsm codec.

I have a MacBook Pro (intel) and I've tried to follow the directions exactly.

When I first log in to vent it says,
"Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44 KHz, 16 bits): Unable to find specific codec."

However, I cannot hear people talking which I thought was inbound.

Is there a common mistake I may have made?

T

Tk wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro (intel) and I've tried to follow the directions
exactly.

When I first log in to vent it says,
"Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44 KHz, 16 bits):
Unable to find specific codec."

However, I cannot hear people talking which I thought was inbound.

Is there a common mistake I may have made?

T

I had a similar problem. What I was doing was trying to run Ventrilo from Finder. Instead you should run it from CrossOver from its menu selection of installed programs.

I managed to make this work by putting the msgsm32.acm file in C:\windows\system\ (in addition to system32) and adding the line
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
to the [drivers32] section of C:\windows\system.ini in place of the line MSACM.msgsm610=C:\windows\system32\msgsm32.acm

Hope this helps!

yo guys does anyone know how to config the hot key, cause i cant with the mouse stuck in the middle

Hello guys. I have the same problem as felix.
It'll be very helpfull is you have a solution for this. Thx!

And a great thx for the guide!!!!

When I use crossover 6.0 this guide plus Ken Thomases' winecoreaudio.drv.so file everything works fine, speaking and listening in gsm enabled vent servers. But after using 6.2 ventrilo doesn't seem to recognize the msgsm32.acm codec following the exact same steps. I'm not sure how to fix it. Anyone else getting a similar problem or know how to fix it?

Hm, this doesnt seem to work for me unfortunately, I use Crossover 6.2, created the bottle, edited the .ini file and put the codec-file into the system32 folder.

When I start Ventrilo however (using crossover->programms->ventrilo) and I connect to the server (which is speex), I immediately get the error message: unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44100 hz, 16bit), unable to find the specific codec.

Well outbound doesnt work, but I see the guys talking in the channel (green mic's), but I dont hear anything.

Any ideas?

thanks a lot in advance

I tried this with Crossover 6.2 and Ventrilo 2.3.2.Beta.3.

And it works! Well sort of, I do have the same issue that the vent window has to be active to use Push-to-Talk. You must be in Vent to use PPT.

But I can hear just fine.

Hmm. Well, one of the changes in 6.2 is that we've enabled DirectSound using our audio driver. The driver doesn't support DirectSound directly, but DirectSound is able to make use of a wave audio driver and emulate higher-level features on top of that. It is this emulation that we enabled.

Perhaps when DirectSound is available, Ventrilo operates differently and that's busting things. We didn't make any changes to the wave-in or wave-out parts of the driver beyond that. Since Ventrilo used to work with just wave-in/-out, I would have expected it to continue working. But I guess not. 😥

Ken Thomases wrote:

Hmm. Well, one of the changes in 6.2 is that we've enabled
DirectSound using our audio driver. The driver doesn't support
DirectSound directly, but DirectSound is able to make use of a wave
audio driver and emulate higher-level features on top of that. It
is this emulation that we enabled.

Perhaps when DirectSound is available, Ventrilo operates differently
and that's busting things. We didn't make any changes to the
wave-in or wave-out parts of the driver beyond that. Since Ventrilo
used to work with just wave-in/-out, I would have expected it to
continue working. But I guess not. 😥

Okay, found version 6.1 and did the whole walkthrough, but still it doesnt work. The moment I connect to the server, the same errormessage appears stating that it's unable to find the specified codec...What ventrilo version u use? I tried 2.1.3 and 2.1.4, both without succes

I really dont get what is going wrong here

mSum wrote:

I tried this with Crossover 6.2 and Ventrilo 2.3.2.Beta.3.

And it works! Well sort of, I do have the same issue that the vent
window has to be active to use Push-to-Talk. You must be in Vent to
use PPT.

But I can hear just fine.

Yeah same problem, which is an issue when playing TF2.
I'm wondering if Steam/TF2 and vent were in the same bottle, then it might work?

Also the vent channel window also bugs out alot, putting me in the wrong channel and making channels and users disappear, this is fixed by just pressing the setup button and then ok tho.

I would like to give a big heads up to people who are having trouble with this.

currently I'm using version 7.0.1, i believe, of crossover. At first i couldn't get this to work, i.e. kept getting the same codec error message. When i looked at the code and looked at the name of the codec that you are meant to download in the guide i realised when you download it from the site, it capitalises the name of the file and the code "MSACM.msgsm610=C:\windows\system32\msgsm32.acm" specifies a lower case msgsm... where as mine was Msgsm... i changed the name of the file in system32 from upper to lower case and then it worked.

Hope this helps

Hey I'm running it in 8.1.3 crossover games. However I'm still having the PTT issue addressed above (only works when vent is active in the foreground). Anybody figure out a fix for that?

( I also notice that the voice transmit (vent) works in the background fine when the PTT is NOT active. But, of course, then you get a lot of inadvertent transmits).

Any help would be great. Thanks.

PTT issue. Easyish fix. If you're playing a game in crossover, make sure ventrillo is running from the same bottle. The PTT key works like that in my bottle that runs counterstrike and vent.. but when i play quake natively it doesnt work. Otherwise good luck

Does this still work with the latest versions of Ventrilo and CrossOver, on Mac OS X 10.6.4? Tried following the guidelines, but I can't get Ventrilo to find the GSM codec.

regards
jujiyass

Does this method still work with the latest programs available? I'm using Crossover 9.0.1 and Mac OS 10.6.5. Followed the steps described above but to no avail.

Caetreistal wrote:

Does this method still work with the latest programs available? I'm
using Crossover 9.0.1 and Mac OS 10.6.5. Followed the steps
described above but to no avail.

Personally, I would recommend using the Mac Ventrilo client.

I use it concurrently with LOTRO in CXG and it works fine. Running 10.6.5 and CXG 10.0b1

I would but the thing is the admin of my vent server doesn't want to use Speex for some strange reason and so I have to use a work around to get it working.

For simplicity, try voipcodecpack.exe (see my post here - Get all 4 codecs working - Simplified.)

Edit: It works fine. Please follow next post as well.

As for key bindings (such as push-to-talk), the game being played should be run from the same bottle as Ventrilo, otherwise the bottle in the foreground will have priority for key presses. If this is a native Mac game, you may be out of luck. This has to do with how keys are registered with the system, and the simple fact that the bottle does not understand that you wish to take control of key bindings, so it does not trap these bindings to the host (OS/X).

Once you've installed the voipcodecpack, go to Manage Bottles, select your ventrilo bottle, click on "Control Panel", then on "Wine Configuration", then select "Launch Selected Item".

Go to Libraries, type in "msgsm32.acm" into the "New override for library", and click Add, then click OK.

Back in the Control Panel, select "Simulate Reboot" and click "Launch Selected Item". This will force the windows libraries to reload and to fully utilize the library you added (via voipcodecpack).

edit: err..umm...should've looked at thread Subject (and not your avatar which suggests
you use linux 8)...so this was horribly OT, here, and content deleted

That's fine, however I will try to answer your question anyways.

While I am not a developer for CW, this is my understanding of how audio libraries function within CX.

By using native libraries, the application would utilize the windows library which converts the audio data to a raw pcm audio stream. If the library does not exist, the audio stream is sent as-is and not decoded. The mixer passes this stream back to CX. If CX see's the GSM stream header, it attempts to load the built-in library, which is a reference to the host systems library. If it cannot load this library, it returns the error to the windows mixer, which returns the error back to the application making the originating sound decoding attempts. Ultimately, using the linux library for GSM would result in a cleaner audio signal, as no emulation occurs during the stream decoding, however having native libraries can give a greater functionality than the libraries available in linux (or even OSX).

On a side note, the question about native GSM support in OSX is still questionable. There are still 4 year old unanswered posts regarding this on Apple's support forums.

** If the methodology that CX uses differs from that described, it should be noted that the theory on what happens is correct. CX will use native libraries if told to, or system libraries otherwise.

Hopefully this clarified your question anyways.

Edit: That also means that you can use the same installer previously mentioned to get all 4 codecs working in linux without the use of system (linux) libraries.

Edit 2: And I have functional systems running OS9-OSX (10.4-10.6), Windows 98-7, and RHEL (current) on my home network.

1 to 30 of 30

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRTRzQnVDNVV0WnVUYlB4YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9