Visual Studio 2005 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

VS Installation on Linux

Hello,

Is it possible to install the visual studio ( any version ) on Linux platform ?

I tried with 2005 and 2008 ( both are Licenses copy ), but with no luck.

The error message says that "I already have the VS installed and I need to remove that first", and which is not the case, as this message comes for the fresh installation.

I will be pleased if someone shed some light on this issue.

Thank You
Satish

Hi Satish,

I had a look at this for you -- although I don't have the full 2005 VS suite as such,
I did try the freely downloadable components and attempted to meld into the crossover
situation, those informations pertaining to this app over at WineHQ AppDB...see;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=892

As you'll note, this is..at best...a very problematic title to get running correctly
in wine. The very first trouble...as you know...is actually getting it to install at
all. I noted the error you were receiving -- I got a slightly different error with the
individual components, but they are related....this issue is within the msi installer.
A lot of this has to do with a permissions boundary -- in the normal windows context,
you can have temporarily elevated permissions to install stuff, or else administrative
rights, to install/sun certain win32 programs. From what I read, this all starts to
turn into toffee, when you're a normal unix user (not root) and everything around you
(including the $tmpdir(s) used during installation) are all stamped with your UID/GID
and ask Jack wrote, the msi installer throws up any error from a cast of 30 or so that
best fits the impossible situation it is confronted with 8)

A lot of this stuff, also hinges around the M$ .NET implementation, and that is by no
means complete in the crossover/wine context, and as you see by the WineHQ pages, there's
lots of other stuff that still needs to be done before VS gets any closer.

It looks...for now....this is one of those titles that requires a 'real' windows OS
footprint, and if you don't want to do that 'for real', then your next best bet is
going to be an emulation environment like vmware etc etc..

Cheers!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibXRLaGhLZndmV1RINU5KYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9