Visual Studio 6.0 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

VS 6.0 Professional with XoverOffice 4.2

Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my experience with Crossover Office (COO) 4.2 and VS 6.0 Professional.

I installed Crossover on two distros, SUSE 9.2 Pro and Mepis 3.3

***On Mepis:
Installation--
The Windows installer application not install the java/ms virtual machine. I got an error message and had to restart COO

Tried to install again and managed to get DCOM98 installed. Then an error message came up, so I had to restart COO again.

On the third install, I unchecked the DCOM98 option and proceeded to the 'custom installation' option. I tried to all VS 6.0 components, but that failed. So I had to unselect the "InterDev", "Visual Fox Pro", and "Graphics" options at installation.

After these attempts, VS6.0 finally installed. Then I got a message that said use "env-vars to run build tools from command prompt saved in VCVARS32.BAT in BIN."

When I loaded VS6.0, I got the following message "Incorrect version of MSVCRT.dll installed. You must run setup again to install the correct dll" I clicked it off, then the app started. I must admit I didn't expect much functionality, but VS6.0 is whipping along quite well. I was able to compile-build-run with success. No linking problems at all. To be clear, I am testing C++ in VS 6.0 Professional. I will run tests to see how VB6.0 responds.

After several tests, the problems I noticed were superficial. Under View->Properties, I was not able to adjust the file fonts to a bigger size. When I clicked on Properties, nothing ever came up. The other problem I ran into was with remnants of closed window sticking to the screen. These partial windows did not cover any vital parts of the active window. They were along the borders and in the gray border areas.

Overall, I think VS6.0 works decently in Mepis.

***On SUSE Pro 9.2

The installation process went MUCH better. The java/ms virtual machine installed, DCOM 98 installed and installation executed until I got the following error about 89% of the way through: "Error with wpie15.exe. /q:a /r:n". I tried to install all of VS6.0's components. After the install hung, I deselected the same installation options like I did in Mepis: "InterDev", "Visual Fox Pro", and "Graphics". When I restarted COO and reinstalled minus those components, the app was ready for use. I got the same "Incorrect version of MSVCRT.dll installed. You must run setup again to install the correct dll" message when the app started, but it still worked.

When I ran my first compile-build-run process, i got a link error and the program would not execute in the black screen. I tried several more times, including closing the app and restarting, but to no avail. I rebooted SUSE, ran VS6.0 and the problem disappeared. I was able to compile-build-run several programs. Again, this was all done with C++ 6.0. I will try VB6.0 another time.

Hope this input helps.

Chris Villanueva

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSjJrWlNlRWZtNnA5NjhxZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9