Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Does this work?

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if the FULL version of Dawn of war worked on anyone's mac? I bought the game because the demo worked, but it always comes up with some sort of issue and doesn't run.
If there is a way to configure the game to allow it to run on crossover, could someone please let me know?

It sounds like the issue might be copy protection. Various copy protection schemes try to exploit low-level details of Windows, which CrossOver does not currently emulate with enough fidelity to satisfy the copy protection system.

well, anyone interested, i've got pretty good news. The dawn of war Platinum Edition does indeed work. You just need to install it then
go to your Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/(Whatever you called the bottle)DarkCrusade/drive_c/Program Files/THQ/DarkCrusade/DarkCrusade.exe The skirmish mode works, you can do the army painter, but you can't play the campaign, it just gets messed up. You can do the same to the Winter Assault and Original Versions, but I recommend getting the Platinum Edition since you get more bang for your buck. Also, the sound's really weird.
The bottle that you use should be Windows 2000, but when you play, go to the Manage Bottles/Control Panel and change the settings to winxp. Since I have a simple Macbook, it probably will perform better on others, but you should try it out

I have all four games of this series. As soon as I downloaded CXgames my first test was this set. I'm going to post for each title so I'll concentrate on DOW here.

Dawn of War
Installs fine - however no prompt for CD key during installation.
Unpatched - will not run. Graphics config works but game will not start.
Patched fully to 1.51 and game runs almost perfectly.

However if you wish to playing using any of the expansions you need to run regedit and manually add the CD KEY to the registry

I'm having pretty serious issues running it on a 2.4 Ghz Imac (ATI Radeon HD2600) via Crossover games. I installed the version of Dark Crusade from Steam and while the game runs perfectly well, there is major graphic problems. During graphic configuration, everything displays fine but once in an actual battle, there is huge texture corruption with the terrain and buildings. The terrain doesn't render correctly with huge swaths of empty black. Buildings either don't appear at all or appear as bizarre geometric shapes. So it's basically unplayable.

I've tried playing with graphic options (both safe and optimal) plus tweaking individual settings and resolutions but I'm not having any luck yet.

Any ideas?

Check your graphics card driver is up to date, this can often be the cause of this type of problem.

I had this issue when setting for shadows where on high. Try medium. That solved the issue for me.

Chuck Brewer wrote:

I'm having pretty serious issues running it on a 2.4 Ghz Imac (ATI
Radeon HD2600) via Crossover games. I installed the version of Dark
Crusade from Steam and while the game runs perfectly well, there is
major graphic problems. During graphic configuration, everything
displays fine but once in an actual battle, there is huge texture
corruption with the terrain and buildings. The terrain doesn't
render correctly with huge swaths of empty black. Buildings either
don't appear at all or appear as bizarre geometric shapes. So it's
basically unplayable.

I'm using the same system and I'm getting exactly the same texture corruption, I've tried lowering my settings right down on all the options such as shadows, lights etc to little effect.

I'm not finding it totally unplayable but it's not pretty to look at.

Mmhrm, just installed it today, same system(2.4ghz iMac c2d radeon 2600 HD), crossover games, no dice. I have a little better luck with cider, it can display the textures properly given certain graphic settings, however cider doesn't play nice with the rest of the game...

Hi guys, it's worth checking out the games developers site and searching through their forum too to see if you can find the solution to your problems. DoW isn't without it's own issues in the first place so it's well worth checking out

http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

I'm going to dissect the graphical issues and make sure I get back to you if I discover anything worth repeating.

Oh, just incase anyone comes late to this party with installation problems, check out my 'Multi CD workaround / Copy protection fix' post over in the tips and tricks section...

AH, A forum without a search feature, good luck finding anything useful there :\

I hope you find something useful though, being able to play this game on this computer would be nice.

Anybody know how to tweak shader settings in crossover?

Yes, you do have to register but it's painless. Besides, you want a game you've paid for to work so what do you have to lose? :)

It's sounding to me like it could actually be a problem with the Radeon 2600 driver. Which one are you guys using?
I'm not sure but I thought there were two different ones? A closed source and an open source one? You could give the other one a go and see if anything changes.

I am running an Nvidia 7900GTX and have no problems like this with DoW, the only real problem I have is the mini-map fog of war doesn't always display correctly (which is a fairly minor thing to me). On the other hand I have texture striping in UT2004 (the native linux version), so the Nvidia driver isn't without its problems thats for sure (and this is a known issue with the driver).

Is there anyone else out there having these problems (or not) so we could pinpoint if this happing just with ATI cards (or specific driver) or if this is happening on some Nvidia cards too? This will help determine if the problem is driver based or elsewhere.

sandosanderson wrote:

It's sounding to me like it could actually be a problem with the
Radeon 2600 driver. Which one are you guys using?

We're on Macs, you don't get to choose your graphics driver, you only get to choose if you accept an update for your graphics card or not when Apple decides to release one.

Having said that, a firmware update for our Radeon HD2600 cards was just released today, I wonder if that will have an effect on the texture issues....

Adam Wright wrote:

when Apple decides to release one

Right, sorry. I missed the distinction between you running a regular Linux OS on you Mac as opposed to running OSX

Looks like I was wrong about a new firmware. It seems to be for the Early08 Alu iMacs, (the ones that have just been released)

for those of you who said this worked perfectly (hoping that it's mac-users) how was the sound and campaign?

Aside from some possible and only occasional texture errors the sound and the campaign play without error (although I can't say I've played it native on a PC so in essence I've nothing to compare it to). The only real struggle was installing in the first place.

Out of interest, what problems where you experiencing in the first place? You never actually said!

well, actually, I had used the Platinum Edition. The campaign for Winter Assault and the original worked find aside from the painfully disturbing sound. When I had played the campaigns, they worked well for me, save for the extremely long saving times that lasted one to two minutes. The graphics generally had to be kept on the lowest settings to prevent it from lagging heavily, but other than they, things were great.
The Dark Crusade had more problems. While the Skirmish mode had worked very well (on par compared to WA and original), the campaign would not work. The loading of the campaign would just make the screen black and instead of a mouse image for the game, it was just a regular mouse arrow for the mac. The campaign was my only real problem.
Basically, the original and Winter Assault was fine, I'm sorry if I didn't say that in my second post. However, the DC campaign would never run. And sound is slightly difficult to describe.
My computer is a 2 GHz Macbook with Intel Core Duo (Note not Intel Core 2).

Dark Crusade campaign works fine for me, though the sound stutters a bit on general, particularly in menu (when mouse-overing menu items) and videos.
Video quality turned up to max at 1600x1200@32 is quite playable

I tried the demo but the color and the speed were horrible. What can I do to correct this issue?

Okay fella's. I have the demo of the first 3 games working. Before I buy the full versions, just what is the CD key?

Now works like a charm with the latest version of CX games (7.1) on my intel imac C2D with the radeon 2600 HD pro.

1 to 23 of 23

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS2RQWVljM1N1SnN1WndmQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9