Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Platinum edition of DoW gold+ dark crusade on steam: crashes and issues with steam.

Sorry but I'll just copy there the posts I provided in the general forum.

My specs : 8.1.3 version of CXgames on a mac book pro 17, NVIDIA 9600 MGT , OS 10.6.2.

I bought, downloaded and installed Dawn of War and its 2 expansions (winter assault and dark crusade, the third one is not compatible with CXgames) via steam on CXgames.
Game is running really good but here are the bugs :

Not properly installed

Actually the 3 games have been successfully installed via steam but they seem to be completely independant, I should be able to switch from one another after launching the original game (there's a function for that in all 3 games) but I have to reboot every time, as if expansions were installed "on the head of the other", not as in a whole complete game.
Maybe there's something I'm missing from the CXgames/steam relationship's mechanic when it comes to installing games via steam.

Random and specific crashes issue

• Dark crusade extension single player campaign issue.

First time I launched the game, I tried the single person campaign. I noticed some graphical glitches at the world's map (some portions of it don't appear right) and the game crashed after launching a battle.
Second time I launched the game,and it keeps on behaving like this now, the game crashed as soon as the world's map appear, making single campaign unplayable.
Beside that, the game is running perfectly (skirmish, multiplayer etc...) but is estropied from its single player mode (wich is unfortunately the best feature of this expansion...)
I tried a redownload/reinstall but it keeps on behaving like this.

here are the files involved everytime dark crusade crashes after the world map appears in single campaign :

C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR DARK CRUSADE\WARNINGS.LOG
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR DARK CRUSADE\W40K.INI
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR DARK CRUSADE\REGIONS.INI
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR DARK CRUSADE\LOCAL.INI
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR DARK CRUSADE\12-25-2009_02_31_00_ERRORLOG.TXT
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR DARK CRUSADE\12-25-2009_02_31_00_MINIDUMP.DMP

the problem seems to be very sensitive to the game aspect ratio and colors choice option :
I actually managed to see the map functioning a few times in 800x600 (16), but the game would crash anyway after that (while loading the first battle on this specific occasion).

• After having played for about 6-8 hours to all 3 expansions, the game would crash sooner or later whatever expansion I'm playing in random situations and on specific occasions :

For instance, game systematically crashes after the beginning of mission 8 cinematic of the original game showing exactly the same log that for dark crusade, except for the game title :

C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR GOLD\WARNINGS.LOG
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR GOLD\W40K.INI
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR GOLD\REGIONS.INI
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR GOLD\LOCAL.INI
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR GOLD\12-26-2009_15_04_52_ERRORLOG.TXT
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\DAWN OF WAR GOLD\12-26-2009_15_04_52_MINIDUMP.DMP

Everytime the game would crash, it shows that log with the expansion's name I'm actually playing.

The version of the game is the Xmas sell off on steam of the platinum version (wich includes DAW + the 2 expansions)
Regarding steam I installed it via the Configure/Install software/"steam via download" package; it runs well except for the scrolling bug in the steam window.

I hope this has not been debated before, thank you in advance for your answer and merry Xmas )

EDIT : Jessica gianino has posted an unanswered topic here called "campaign mode", that actually refers to the dark crusade single player campaign issue too.

Whenever you mark a game as "gold", I shall suggest you add the config. of the user who claims it is, how he installed it, his OS and CX version etc..., there are many threads out there on the web mentionning issues with dark crusade and CXgames.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOFNFTmVFbkJ2bXVhNlRFeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9