Wizard101 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Mouse/cursor on screen accuracy issues

Hi, I just installed the Crossweavers software on my new Mac OS 10.6.8 for Wizard 101. The cursor will highlight a box above where I place the cursor on the screen. Meaning that in order to select an item, I must move the cursor below what I am trying to select. The additional problem is that if the box or item I am trying to select is at the bottom of the screen, then that box is impossible to select. Therefore the game is unplayable. I am using the 14 day trial games version. Please help. Thx.

Have you tried changing the in-game screen resolution settings?

Sorry but I'm new to this website and I was unable to find my original thread.

I changed the screen resolution within Wizard101. The game screen now covers less than half of the monitor with a large black border on each side and the bottom. I am unable to highlight the "Play" button since the cursor must be placed outside (below) of the game screen. In fact now I am unable to change the resolution to anything else now. Thanks for you help and I hope you have a 'resolution' for me so I can play Wizard101.

Alright, I'm going to take you through a few steps that will have CrossOver Games force a certain size for Wizard 101's display size. You'll see this size when you first start and then what will likely happen is Wizard 101 will re-adjust the size to what you set in-game. The theory (aka, what usually happens in-house when we make this adjustment) is that the Mac will 'get it right' and the position of the mouse cursor on your screen will be corrected.

If this does not happen, I will need to know (don't collect this information until you've tried the workaround I'll give below):

1. The exact version of your Mac OS: Click on the Apple icon on the upper left corner of your Mac and select "About this Mac" from the drop down list. The "Version" should be displayed directly below where it says "Mac OS X"

2. The graphics card in your Mac: Keep the "About this Mac" screen open and click the button that says "More Info". Select "Graphics/Displays" from the long list. The information I need here is "Chipset Model:". You can now close the "About this Mac" windows.

3. The exact version of CrossOver Games: I've made an assumption that you are running "CrossOver Games" and not "CrossOver Office". With CrossOver Games launched, click on the CrossOver Games icon in your dock so that the title bar at the very top of your screen says "CrossOver Games" next to the Apple icon in the upper left corner. Click on "CrossOver Games" on the title bar and select "About CrossOver" from the drop down menu. The "Version" is printed directly below "CrossOver Games". You can close the "About CrossOver Games" window.

Now for the workaround.

1. Launch CrossOver Games if it is not launched. If it is launched, click on the icon in your dock so that the title bar at the very top of your screen says "CrossOver Games" next tot he Apple icon.

2. On the title bar at the top, one of the other drop down menus is "Configure". Click that and from the drop down menu, select "Manage Bottles".

3. Verify that you only have one "Wizard 101" bottle; if there is only one "Wizard 101" bottle, go to step 4. If more than one appears, highlight "Applications" on the first bottle and make sure that "Wizard 101" is indeed listed in the "Installed Applications" list.
    a. If Wizard 101 is listed in the first bottle, no need to check the others. Select one of the other Wizard 101 bottles and use the "-" button on the lower left section of the screen to delete the other Wizard 101 bottles.
    b. If Wizard 101 is not listed in the first bottle, check the others and find one where it is listed. Leave this bottle behind and delete the others.

4. With the "Wizard 101" bottle selected, choose "Control Panel". In this section, choose "Wine Configuration" and then click "Launch Selected Item".

5. It may take a moment to appear, but you should now have a window open that says "Wine configuration" at the top. Select the "Graphics" tab.

6. With the "Graphics" tab selected, check the box next to "Emulate a virtual desktop". The desktop size should now be enabled. Set it to 800 X 600 (looks like that is the absolute smallest size Wizard 101 has available). Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

7. Launch Wizard 101 and see if the mouse position has improved. If it has, you'll want to re-open "Wine Configuration" and choose a larger size for the bottle's desktop size. If it has not, gather the information above.

David Graham wrote:

Sorry but I'm new to this website and I was unable to find my
original thread.

I changed the screen resolution within Wizard101. The game screen
now covers less than half of the monitor with a large black border
on each side and the bottom. I am unable to highlight the "Play"
button since the cursor must be placed outside (below) of the game
screen. In fact now I am unable to change the resolution to anything
else now. Thanks for you help and I hope you have a 'resolution' for
me so I can play Wizard101.

If nothing else, when the in-game resolution of Wizard 101 prevents you from accessing the "options" button at the bottom of the screen, you should be able to press "esc" to bring up an options screen and change the resolution, that way.

Also, an addendum to Caron's note - I mainly test this game on Linux, and there I've found that even when setting the Wizard 101 bottle with "emulated virtual desktop" of a given size, Wizard 101 will still open in the resolution specified in-game. i.e. if I set my emulated virtual desktop to 800x600 but the in-game resolution is 1650x1050, then after I login to the game, the screen will expand to the in-game resolution. At this point you can press "esc" and find a smaller res. As long as you quit the game with the smaller res in place, that resolution will be saved for your next session.

I've followed your instructions. There were two Wizard101's listed in the bottles. The first one was missing Flash Player 10 and MS DirectX Runtime-Modern but listed the four other programs that were in the second. I deleted the first bottle.

I continued to the the Wine Configuration and set the desktop to 800 x 600.

When I open CrossOver a window appears "Welcome to CrossOver Games" with the logo and two choices.

1. Install Windows Software
  2. Run Installed Software

The 2. Run Installed Software is now grayed out and nothing happens when I click on it. This is how I have been starting Wizard101.

I am using CrossOver Games version 10.1.2 (10.1.2)- as listed under About CrossOver Games
My iMac is :
OSX 10.6.8
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M

What should I try next? Thanks!

Go to Crossover's Programs>Run Command menu. Select your Wizard 101 bottle (sounds like you've only got one at this point), and click Browse.

Browse to:

drive_c/Program Files/KingsIsle Entertainment/Wizard101/Wizard101.exe

select that "Wizard101.exe" file. Now, back in Run Command, click on "Save Command to Programs menu". A finder window should pop up with a Wizard 101 launcher. You can access this launcher either through Crossover's Programs menu, or via the "#2" option on Crossover's welcome screen.

Thank you for resolving my mouse/cursor issue. I've been playing successfully since your words of wisdom fixed my problem. i just wanted to be sure there were no problems before letting you know.

There is one minor problem but not related to the playing of the game. I was unable to access the free gift that is available on the sign in screen. I"m using a magic mouse (with no right click button). When I placed my cursor over the text, the cursor changed to the hand with the one pointed finger but nothing would happen when I clicked. I had to log on to the game using my PC to get the gift. But other Mac users may not be lucky enough to have a PC available.

One additional note, I'm using a standard-sized wireless keyboard (from my PC) that I prefer over the new OSX's mini keyboard. I tried various key combinations (Cntl, Window, Alt) with the mouse with out success.

I see another posting about setting keyboard control preferences and I will look into this.

Thanks again!
david

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidWQ5VWJ2UFVjWFlmOWdZZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9