Wizard101 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Network activity seems to freeze the game regularly

First of all, let me say this is not a new problem. I've had this problem over the last year of Wizard101 play, but it's not so irritating as to cause me to give up using CrossOver for Wizard101. The machine actively runs Mac OS X 24/7.

The problem seems to be related to heavier network activity. When there are more people in the same area as myself, the game will glitch regularly. I can tell if one person entered the same area as me just by the game freeze-ups. So you might say... well, sure there is more going on in the game and it's working harder to keep up. Yes, very true. I can reboot my Mac Pro into BootCamp Windows and I see no such freeze-ups. My guess is this has something to do with Wine blocking when there's network activity.

So is my machine under a heavy load? No. While the game is running, the system is about 85% idle, with only periodic higher peaks. This is a Mac Pro 2x3GHz quad-core xeon with 32GB of memory. With 8 cores, this machine is hardly impacted even with many other things running on the machine. In any case, it's not a matter of system load. Using CrossOver 11.2, Mac OS X 10.6.8. The game is as smooth as silk until someone enters the room, resulting in some periodic choppy game play. Again, this isn't BAD, but it's particularly noticeable and quite irritating.

Thanks,
Tom

I have a very similar problem, except that the choppiness often results in a total crash that I've been resolving by a forced reboot. This reminds me a great deal of my windows days. Perhaps crossover is emulating windows too well.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMm1wS3A3UGdRRXl4Z1BGYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9