Wizardry 8 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Works Fine

Using CrossOver Games 8.1.4 on a MacBook (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 9400M) running OS X 10.6.2, I found Wizardry 8 to be one of the easier and more fully functioning applications I've installed.

After creating a new Windows 2000 bottle, I installed the game and then the official 1.2.4 patch (also named the 2001_12_23_release patch). I then applied the Wizardry 8 v1.2.4 No-CD patch, and the Unofficial Wizardry 8 OpenGL Patch.

I configured CrossOver to run in a virtual desktop with 800x600 resolution. I set the game's internal configuration to match that resolution and to display graphics using OpenGL.

The game ran perfectly fine, with no problems other than the opening Bink-format (.bik) movies not displaying. However, I found that by setting the game to run fullscreen the Bink-format movies did play just fine. Because I prefer to play in windowed mode, I installed the Bink Rad Tools (from www.radgametools.com) into the same bottle so that I could just manually run the movies while continuing to play in windowed mode. I felt this was a reasonable compromise since there are only a couple of movies that will need to be displayed throughout the entire game.

Hi Crawfish,

I'm wondering how you got this to run...I'm having the same problem as previous posters...I install this with the setup.exe file and it installs fine but won't run after that. does it need to be a windows 2000 bottle perhaps? Not sure how to apply the other patches you mentioned either once I've completed the install. Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

It can work with manual configuration of game ini file.
See tip
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4748;tips=1

Lester Chua wrote:

See tip

Hi,

Could you please specify which release of the game you speak of? (Steam, digital
download/distributor)....it's also useful to inform folks of your platform/OS{version}
and videocard setup...ie; some titles work in OSX and not in linux or viceversa.

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Lester Chua wrote:

See tip

Hi,

Could you please specify which release of the game you speak of?
(Steam, digital
download/distributor)....it's also useful to inform folks of your
platform/OS{version}
and videocard setup...ie; some titles work in OSX and not in linux
or viceversa.

Cheers!

Hi,

As far as I know of, there is only 1 version of Wizardry 8 as the digital publishers cant seem to get it published (e.g. GoG, Steam Direct2Drive etc). It's the retail CD that was originally released by SirTech.
But yea, you're right. More information is definitely better. I'll update the tip. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hi again,

Thanks a lot -- the edits look great! It's just a matter of  

life around here that we've got one product and 'more than several'
platform/machine setups it runs on (not to mention the case of a title
being available from more than one distributor, and one release might
work whereas another distributor's release may not...and that too may
be dependent on OS/machine spec), so it really does help to include
as much information as possible/applicable. This also helps a lot when
it comes to filling out the distributor comparison table ;)

Cheers!

ps: actually, it's two products, but we're only talking about one of them here 8)

Hi Don,

Yea, the number of combinations with crossover office/games, pro/standard, osx/linux, all the different hardware, different game settings is just mind boggling.

I wonder if the CrossOver team thought of automatically collecting configuration information whenever someone gets an app to run successfully. Like a screen that will pop up at the END of an application run that allows users to submit configuration and hardware info with a simple click. It'll help if the information is then automatically published into the website for working programs. That way advocates and users can focus on apps/games that only require special tweaking to app and game related settings.

That has been discussed...and there's another nearly concurrent thread
along these lines around here somewhere...where Ken Thomases points out
that even if it were possible for people to voluntarily activate some
reporting feature like this..the next question is, what is it we would
like to have reported? So perhaps that discussion is ongoing... ;)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM3pBN0s2UjlkN3JRWThQYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9