WordPerfect Office 12 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installed but won't start

I've been using Word Perfect 12 to write my docs on Windows. I like Star/Open Office but the lack of thesaurus, format painter, and other nice tools that I've gotten used to makes it better for simple documents. Word Perfect 12 has some great tools like thesaurus, dicitonary, format painter, and others that make it even better than MS Word. I was happy when Corel said they would produce another linux native version a couple months ago, but when I saw that it was an older version I was really disappointed. This would be a great addition to the Codeweavers' supported line. I installed it with Crossover Office but I had to kill a hung wine-pthread process. The installed app didn't get past the splash screen.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Installed the application fine, was able to boot it once and in that time it worked perfectly. Had to kill another badly behaving application and it never booted again. I am using crossover mac.

Try to use it under wine (not Crossover). I have been actually working with WordPerfect 12 using wine (I update it weekly to the newest version) and Kubuntu Gutsy for more than a month now. No problems, it just words perfectly (ahh the pun). Tables, columns, page numbering, line numbering, graphics, file import, headers, background saving and document recovery, footers, formatting, font changes, indenting, paragraph numbering, outlining, printing to pdf from within WordPerfect - everything I needed to work, just works.

Some Linux shortcuts overrides that of WordPerfect, but then use the menu or menu keyboard shortcuts.

However - macros and macro dependent functions does not work (like fill-in templates of documents). You should also know when you start WordPerfect to click on the splash screen/panel alternately a few times until a dialog box comes up complaining about "entrust" something or other not being there. Kill that and WordPerfect vanishes from your screen. Restart it again and it comes up working and will just keep on working without a glitch (unless you mess around with macros - do that if you really want to kill it).

Last I tried it under Crossover it didn't work and I dont know why, but I suppose it soon will. Maybe some developer may even read this and work on the macros and start-up problems to add another Platinum product to Crossover and Wine.

If you can live without using macros (I can) and you can balance a beach ball on your nose for a few minutes to get through the start-up (I do that too) then it's as solid as a rock, good enough to commit your work documents to it. At some stage in the last month I had it open for eight days on one stretch without a single mishap. In fact I have had no mishap with any documents I have worked on so far at all.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZnhCWTVZd2N1ZkdBckNoRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9